Sound Cutting Out

Nesa

Baseband Member
Hello,

Alright, my sound works just fine when I am on my computer normally, playing music etc.

This is where the problem develops, when playing games (DOD and BF2), after a period of time (let's say 5 minutes) my sound just cuts out.

It's definately not my speakers and I am aware that it is indeed my soundcard. I also can't even use a microphone with my card, it just doesn't pick it up.

Anyway this is my setup:

300W Case
CD-Rom Drive
Powercolor 9600XT 128mb Graphics Card
80GB Hard drive
Asus Mainboard - P4P800 Deluxe
256MB Ram
Intel CPU P4 3.0 GM Prescott - 1MB Cache, 800FSB
LG Monitor
Keyboard
Networkd Card etc....

My comp isn't too old, got it in September, 2004.

Basically looking at that am I correct saying that I have onboard sound?

So, i'm looking for a card good enough to not cut out when my sound options are on high in games and can take a microphone.

Not looking at spending too much, but would this be alright;

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=14189

Also I have logitech Z-640 Speakers would they be alright with that soundcard?

If you haven't realised already, I'm not that good at the hardware side of computers but I really do need your advice.

If I do purchase a new sound card, would the on-board one be removed or would the new card just slot in and that's it?

Thankyou

*edit* link works now

I'm afraid that link doesn't work.

Yep, those speakers would be fine for any sound card you buy.

As for disabling the on board sound, you'll need to go into the BIOS for it to be most effective.

This should be a case of pressing Del at bootup (though it may differ. Check at bootup for a message corresponding to BIOS).

Within one of the menus after it displays there should be "Onboard Sound" or something like that anyway :p

Just select disable.

Then navigate back, and select Save And Exit, and your done.

UPDATES:

Have you tried updates for your old sound card though?

It might be that the sound card isn't udpated enough to run the latest Direct X games with full sound.

AC'92 is the sound your board uses, and I've never heard of that model, and can't seem to find updates.
The Asus site is down, so can't even check there yet.

audigy 2 soundcards are good, i have the value one and it sounds fine to me, any sound card will "cope" with a microphone....u also might wana think about a new power supply as 300W really isnt enough

It is really. A sound card won't use up that much power :p

Yeah, microphone will be fine like gaming_freak says.

A dedicated sound card is tonnes better in quality/performance, than an onboard one.

so that one listed in my first post will be suitable and should eliminate any further sound cuts?

awesome, looks like I'll pick it up soon

thanks everyone, ill keep you posted.

I got sound cutting out to.. But that is becuase I got onboard of what uses CPU.. So at 100% cpu the sound cuts

EDIT
Ne.. if you get anyting better than your current souund card it should be better

X800 said:
I got sound cutting out to.. But that is becuase I got onboard of what uses CPU.. So at 100% cpu the sound cuts

EDIT
Ne.. if you get anyting better than your current souund card it should be better

thanks, I bought the card listed above (2 posts above)

Back
Top Bottom