Sorry, once again, laptop advice!

joxley1990

Golden Master
I start college next week, I am doing a BTEC, National System Support Diploma, I.C.T - (A BTEC is just the same as 3 A-levels)

For the course, I will need a laptop, as it will come in real handy..

Currently, I have a HP OmniBook 6000, 600Mhz, 256MB RAM, 12GB HDD, hence the reason I want, no, hence the reason I need a new one..

I want it to last me a good while, and be as good as my desktop computer..

My desktop specs, stand as follows.. Intel P4 @ 2.5Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD.. So, I was shopping for a laptop, and I found this..

[LINK EXPIRED!]

It's a DELL Inspiron 6400, Curo Duo, at 1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, 15.4" Widescreen..

Is this a good laptop for £560? I want it to last a while, maybe do some very light gaming, I need it to be fast etc etc..It will be used at open days at the college..so I cant afford to be waiting around when Im showing people the computer system at college..

What is the difference between the Curo Duo, and Curo Duo 2? Should I be looking at a laptop with the Core Duo 2 chip, or will I be ok with the Curo Duo..?

Also, there is an option to upgrade the display, for like £30, you can have this TrueLife thing.. Should I get this, because I have infact read bad reviews about it, and that it is very reflective..

So, general comments on the laptop would be nice..

Thanks alot, james.

If you want the laptop to last you for a long time, I suggest you get the Core 2 Duo utilizing the DDR2 technology. DOn't even think about the Core Duo. If you choose to go Dell, get this one. I'm dissapointed it is a small 12.1" widescreen, but it also uses TrueLife technology and everything else looks great.

http://www.dell.com/content/product...0?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=specs#tabtop

Here's one with a 17" widescreen monitor with TrueLife:
http://www.dell.com/content/product...0?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=specs#tabtop

Benefits of Dell TrueLife:

Crisper images
Brilliant colors
Sharp contrast
Wider viewing angles
Reduced eye fatigue

The TrueLife brand is Dell's marketing name for its recently introduced anti-reflective LCD screen technology (anti-reflective technology).

This technology was initially introduced to the Japanese market in Fujitsu notebook computers in the beginning of 2003 and later brought to the mainstream via Sony's marketing of its own XBRITE brand. This technology was an instant success because of its super crisp images and its vibrant colors. Dell's TrueLife IS the Sony's XBRITE. Same thing.

All laptop screens have a polarizer which is a thin sheet of film laminated to the outside layer of glass of the laptop screen used to filter light waves produced by the LCD screen to create an image. The difference between a traditional notebook screen and an anti-reflective notebook screen is the type of polarizer film.

The polarizer of a traditional notebook screen has a rough matte finish. This rough matte finish is not visible to the naked eye. The matte finish causes outer ambient light to disperse or reflect off of the traditional polarizer at different angles which reduces the intensity of the glare reflected directly back to the observer's eye. This ambient light reflection is reduced in intensity due to the diffusion of light, however, the drawback is the reflection shows up as a large hazy object which obstructs the images on the screen. Other side effects include distorted images, a lower contrast ratio, inferior viewing angles, less vibrant colors and eye fatigue.

The polarizer of an anti-reflective Dell TrueLife screen has a smooth high-gloss finish which has been chemically-treated. The chemically-treated finish of the polarizer reduces the reflection of external ambient light by absorbing much of the external light instead of dispersing it at different angles. Since the external light is mostly absorbed instead of being reflected at different angles, the polarizer does not need a rough matte finish and therefore a smooth finish can provide crisp, brilliant-colored images with the most direct internally derived light from the LCD.

In general, the observer sees light from two light sources: 1) light produced by the LCD itself and 2) external ambient light which is reflected off the surface of the LCD. The objective of an anti-reflective polarizer is to improve the image quality generated by the LCD while minimizing the reflection of external ambient light.

Back
Top Bottom