Something weird just happened to my computer...

OTSS

In Runtime
Alright so I am listening to music on winamp and am on the internet and I just finished downloading a mixtape that is rar'd so I scan it for virus's like I do everytime I download something and comes up with nothing so I double click it. Now my music stops playing and my computer freezes. I think it is just my piece of shit computer so I hit reset after waiting 5 min for it to unfreeze. Now it loads up normally like it should and has no slowdown in my boot up. Now my desktop looks all rearanged and I notice that everything is double. Like if I have a folder called pictures it is there twice and all my shortcuts appear 2 times. So I think ok maybe there was some kind of glitch so I try to erase all the doubles and then the other one deletes too even though I never touched it so I take it out of the recycle Bin and it appears double again. So I try to delete it and create a new shortcut. The new one appears double as well. So I figure I can try a restart and when it restarts the boot up is slow and pauses at loading windows. So I resart again and this time is normal bootup but same thing on desktop. So I look around and notice my shortcut to Nero and Winamp is gone entirely. My Start menu is also has hardly any programs under all programs from over 30 to 10 total. I also notice that my shared folders where all my music and videos is gone as well. The folder that was named shared folder is now named documents with nothing in it. My C Drive still says there is the same amount of space as there was before it happened so my Music and Videos are not gone. So now I do a search for one of the videos that was in the folder and the search comes up empty. I even go to recent documents and try to click one I watched recently and it cannot find the file. So now I don't know what to do and I would want to backup all my stuff if I were to reformat but I can't find any of it. All the music I downloaded costed quite a bit of money as well because I had over 500 legitimately downloaded songs and 1000 illigitimately downloaded songs.

BTW if anyone needs to know the comps specs it is
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ S939
MSI Nforce4 Motherboard
1 GB of RAM
160GB HD
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro PCI-E Video Card.
I am running Windows XP Pro.

try booting up in safe mode and seeing what everything looks like then.

also while in safe mode, run a few virus scans.

Alright I won't get a chance to try that this weekend because I am out of town but if I can get a few more replies it would be nice to try a few things when I get back.

Alright so I did that and everything is the same and virus scan shows up nothing. I even tried a system restore and all my restore points cannot be restored too

1000 illegal downloads. Looks like number 1001 bit you on the ass. With all the damage done to the files I would venture you sucked down a trojan or a virus. And before you say you're scans came up negetive, not all bugs will show up. Run over to www.eset.com and run the online scanner.

what you using to do the virus scan though
And this is always the risk we take with downloading stuff illegaly

Id say its a Virus or trojan aswell, you could try spybot aswell but Nod32 is you best bet as mentioned before.

You can try to run a scan, but you might want to format rather than undo the changes that were made. Your music might be gone, but unless its like a 'Limewire Virus,' I doubt it only deleted your Shared folder (for example, you might be missing other things).

Next time get a scanner on your system and it should pro actively scan files that you download. If it doesn't say anything after downloading the file, immediately, and your suspicious, just manually scan it.

NOD32 is a great scanner, and well worth the money in my experience.
It does have pro active file scanning, among other wonderful features...

Remember... .EXEs are not music, and if any file / website prompts an ActiveX installation and its not a trusted site, don't do it. I've been using Firefox for very long, and the only times I've been prompted for ActiveX, I knew it was a virus.

While on the topic... getfirefox.com - Get Firefox and replace Internet Explorer for that added security.

You can try to run a scan, but you might want to format rather than undo the changes that were made. Your music might be gone, but unless its like a 'Limewire Virus,' I doubt it only deleted your Shared folder (for example, you might be missing other things).

Next time get a scanner on your system and it should pro actively scan files that you download. If it doesn't say anything after downloading the file, immediately, and your suspicious, just manually scan it.

NOD32 is a great scanner, and well worth the money in my experience.
It does have pro active file scanning, among other wonderful features...

Remember... .EXEs are not music, and if any file / website prompts an ActiveX installation and its not a trusted site, don't do it. I've been using Firefox for very long, and the only times I've been prompted for ActiveX, I knew it was a virus.

While on the topic... getfirefox.com - Get Firefox and replace Internet Explorer for that added security.

Alright well like I said I do scan everything I download before I open it. I also use firefox. I use AVG virus scanner and it shows nothing for viruses. I just made the duplicate desktop icons go away by doing an error check of my c: drive. I also tried to defrag and the analyze first option showed all my missing movies and songs. I am currently clearing space because it is recommended to have 15% free space when you defrag. I will see if the defrag recovers all my files. If it does then that will solve all the problems I was having.

Back
Top Bottom