So this is what happened

joe pic

Fully Optimized
My PC from Cyberpower arrived DOA (no surprise)

I should have listened to you guys, as in building it myself.

I sent it back for an RMA refund, so they said I should get the money back this Thursday or Friday.

Now, I need help from you guys! Help in building the most future-proof, and powerful PC for the money.

I have approximately $2000-$2400 to spend. The less the better, of course.

So your suggestions can be placed in the numbers below:

Processor:

RAM:

Motherboard:

Graphic Card Configuration: (SLi or CF would be nice)

PSU:

HDD/HDDs:

Case: (Must be a full tower case)

That's just a basic starter list. Just put what you think the best config would be in those spots, and tell me why.

I'd like at least 1 TB of HDD space, and a nice Quad core. If you look at my sig, those are the specs from my machine that I sent back

Thanks guys! I have plenty of Rep to hand out!!

The seagate 1TB hard drive is getting cheap. I would also recommend it over 2 500GB Hard drives because there is always something that will need that extra SATA port. Trust me on this one. My mobo makes it so if you have a long video card you can't use 1 of your sata ports lol.

Also that configuration of video cards is probably the best you can get right now. Just SLI the 2 260 cores

Ok thanks I'll go with the 1 TB HDD, maybe a Raptor 15,000 RPM for a second.
I'll keep the 260's.

maybe go with an i7 series processor with some DDR3 ram.
I forgot when the i7 comes out though, but it seems like soon they will go into DDR3.

Processor: Q9550. $320

RAM:G.Skill 4GB DDR3 HZ PC2-12800C7 1600MHz (2x2GB) - $250 or about that.

Motherboard:Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 - $350- Gives you options for 3 way SLI which would be good for future upgrades. One of the best overclockers too.

Graphic Card Configuration: (SLi or CF would be nice)... go for the GTX 260 (Core 216 version). Each one is about $300.

PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W. -$350 Overkill unless you're going SLI... but with a tripple SLI capable board you'd want to be able to add cards in the future without replacing the PSU.

HDD/HDDs: 1TB spin point. $114. Very good drive…very quiet like all the spin points.

Case: (Must be a full tower case) - As long as you get good air flow and the case is not ugly as sin then the case should (imo) be an area for saving on. Spend $60 on a case like the AKASA ZEN. I own two a white one and a black one, and they both look very very good. They come with silent large fans (front and rear) and are easy to mod to attach a large fan on the side for the GPUs. It's about what's under the bonnet remember! If you insist on an up market case go for the nine hundred antec. Its tried and trusted.

Running SLI'd pair of GTX260 with the cheaper case your price will be: $2044

Prices taken from newegg.

Other potential improvements;

Get two smaller drives and run the OS in RAID 0. Cheap to do and will make a difference. I don't see the point in spending $$$ on raptors… but some do so it's up to you.

Other potential improvements;

Get two smaller drives and run the OS in RAID 0. Cheap to do and will make a difference. I don't see the point in spending $$$ on raptors… but some do so it's up to you.

If hes a gamer, its best to get the Raptors, though it cost more, RAID0 loads slower in games compared to a non raid setup.

It's only going to a couple of seconds though, Raptors will never be worth much more that an ordinary HDD to me.

Like Teny said, before you buy your motherboard and processor wait till the Core i7 is out on Novermber 17th as seen here.

I wouldnt get a 260 in sli...

Get the 4870 X2 it will wreck some shit.

Good Call on the Antec 1200 Worship, great case.

spending $2000 + you may as well get a Intel and a Mobo that supports DDR3...

I would wait a little bit as Intels new guy is just around the corner :D

It's only going to a couple of seconds though, Raptors will never be worth much more that an ordinary HDD to me.

They do help make a system more response overall though (windows/IE/navigating ect..)

Its not night and day but its a difference.

Back
Top Bottom