Slow computer start up

DUDE MAN

In Runtime
My computer became very slow when starting up after I try to hook up two internal drives (one at 80G and the other at 500G) together. After a unsuccesfull attempt, I ended up using only one drive; the 500G drive. Could I have connected something wrong? Is it possible that my computer have been infected?

Oh, and I just recently replaced my old chip fan with a new Zalman heatsink chipset fan but I didn't see any obvious improvement. It's supposed to be quieter but I guess I can't hear or see the difference cause my old one was dead sitting on the motherboard.

How would you trouble shoot this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

try to do some disk cleanup and defrag on the two new drives, it is possible that the 80g is faulty also, if the 500g one works fine.

And about the zalman, it will be same doing normal things, but doing cpu-intensive things (gaming/video editing etc) it will perform better and be quieter than the old one

ok you say you have jus replace your heatisnk fan first thing to do would be check temps, if you say you notice a slow boot up check the temps in the bios and run for bout 5 mins monitoring,

post back

As far as the hard drives go, are these two new drives in ADDITION to your original one? Or is one of these the primary HD? If so, which one has the OS files on it? It could be that one of these hard drives has slower speeds, and you're noticing it via slow boot times.

Secondly, run "msconfig" (Start Menu, choose Run...) and uncheck any programs that you wouldn't necessarily need to have while the computer starts up (ie. Steam, Quicktime, PowerDVD, iTunesHelper, etc.) I don't think this is your problem, but it sure won't hurt anything.

Now, regarding the heatsink. I assume that you applied thermal paste (very little) and installed the heatsink correctly. Have you been monitoring your temperatures?

Download RealTemp and post back your temperatures.

As far as the hard drives go, are these two new drives in ADDITION to your original one? Or is one of these the primary HD? If so, which one has the OS files on it? It could be that one of these hard drives has slower speeds, and you're noticing it via slow boot times.

Secondly, run "msconfig" (Start Menu, choose Run...) and uncheck any programs that you wouldn't necessarily need to have while the computer starts up (ie. Steam, Quicktime, PowerDVD, iTunesHelper, etc.) I don't think this is your problem, but it sure won't hurt anything.

Now, regarding the heatsink. I assume that you applied thermal paste (very little) and installed the heatsink correctly. Have you been monitoring your temperatures?

Download RealTemp and post back your temperatures.

One of the two drives is the primary HD. Both has OS on it.
The heatsink seems to work fine. I did applied the thermal paste that came with the heatsink, however I did used all of it because it wasn't even that much; just enough to cover. I know I installed the heatsink correctly. Where do you go to monitor your temps?

I downloaded RealTemp but it says that my processor is not supported. I deleted the program. Anything else? I appreciated.:D

One of the two drives is the primary HD. Both has OS on it.
The heatsink seems to work fine. I did applied the thermal paste that came with the heatsink, however I did used all of it because it wasn't even that much; just enough to cover. I know I installed the heatsink correctly. Where do you go to monitor your temps?

I downloaded RealTemp but it says that my processor is not supported. I deleted the program. Anything else? I appreciated.:D

I know there is a way to access temps through your BIOS, so upon booting up your computer, tap the necessary key (mine is DEL) and you can find it there.

I know there is a way to access temps through your BIOS, so upon booting up your computer, tap the necessary key (mine is DEL) and you can find it there.

Ok, so I checked the temp in the BIOS. Here it is on the 500 G Drive:

Vcore Voltage: 1.36V
3.3V Voltage: 3.20V

CPU Target Temperature: 66 degree Celcius
CPU Temperature: 43 degree celcius
M/B Temperature: 40 degree celcius

What does all these mean? Are they normal?

I just formatted the drive last night. It took a lot longer than the 80G Drive. I started the computer up and after motherboard screen, there came a statement that says that the CPU fan failed. Why is that? How do I fix that?

I became a little curious that there might be something wrong with the drive so I disconnected the drive and hook it up to the 80G drive still OS installed. It start up perfectly fine and blazing fast. Surfing online couldn't be better. I'm using the 80G Drive as I'm typing up.

Could there have been anything wrong with the 500G drive? Should I return it? Please help. I'm too frustrating right now. Any suggestions would really help and appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of hard drives were they? SATA or IDE? If it's IDE a jumper config issue could be why you had troubles with the 80GB

What kind of hard drives were they? SATA or IDE? If it's IDE a jumper config issue could be why you had troubles with the 80GB

It's an IDE. By the way, the 500G is the troubled one. Right now I don't care about making one master and one slave. I just want to use one at a time. I'll use the 50G for online surfing and other easy stuff and the 500G is for work that involves larger files and CPU demanding.

How do you configure the 500G jumper?:)

Back
Top Bottom