sloooow start up

apologia

Baseband Member
Okay, new here, hello.

I have an HP laptop, with vista ultimate installed on it. It takes forever to start up from cold start. In actuality, it might take a little longer than forever, I haven't actually clocked it. Yet.

I have a decent system, duo core processor, 2GB ram, and I have my start up processes reduced to a minimum. Does anyone have any suggestions? And please don't tell me that vista ultimate just takes forever. That would just dampen my day. And if you need a number, it probably takes about 5 minutes from cold start to operable desktop.

Thanks.:)

Okay, yeah, do have suggestions? I don't exactly have disposable income, and all these free downloads I see everywhere will let me scan.... and I scan for about an hour just to find out that I can't actually fix my problems until I pay for the program. Which doesn't help me any. I know there is a lot of talk about getting these programs for free, but where?

thanks

Okay, yeah, do have suggestions? I don't exactly have disposable income, and all these free downloads I see everywhere will let me scan.... and I scan for about an hour just to find out that I can't actually fix my problems until I pay for the program. Which doesn't help me any. I know there is a lot of talk about getting these programs for free, but where?

thanks
Ad-Aware

yea run some virus and spyware checks.
also defragment your disks.
also run ccleaner. its free and will clean your registry and junk files, which often leads to slowdowns.

basically all your pc needs is some cleaning. if you want it to run even faster then check out the many vista tweaks that are available. google knows all

CCleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG Free Anti Virus, Ad-Aware, Defrag Hardrive,

update all programs and reboot hit F8 scan all of them in safe mode.

need i say more.

wen u say u have startup programs to a minimum that is through msconfig right ? jus checking coz some1 told me the same thing and all they did was delete items out of the startup on the start menu,

alright, thanks.

Should I use both spybot and ad-adware? Those aren't the same thing are they?

And yes, I did go through msconfig

I noticed you said it was an HP. Does it still have all the HP software on it? If so then you might want to try uninstalling some of it. The HP bloatware will definitely slow your system down.

Also, no spybot and Ad-Aware are not the same thing.

What do you mean uninstalling some of the HP software? I didn't get any disks with my laptop. Everything, came pre-installed. Granted there wasn't too much that came with it, I think just vista ultimate. I have already made a boot disk for it. But other than vista, I didn't install anything.

Back
Top Bottom