SLI advice

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
I am thinking about getting this motherboard: MSI K9N4 SLI-F AM2 w/ SLI so I can install 2 8600gt cards. Would the AMD 62 x2 5600+ bottleneck with this setup? What about with 2 7600gt cards?

ok sli honestly is a wast of money unless you just have money falling out of the sky.....
get a 8800 gt will preform better then a 8600
and i recomend with the money u save from that
get a intel core2quad
nvidia 680i a1 version is a highly recommended bored
along with that make sure to get 2-4G of ram if your going to be building a system like this
also please limit your sig to 5l lines

The AMD 62 x2 5600+ will work nicely with both video card setups.

As suggested, a single 8800 GT would make for a faster setup, but where's the fun in that? :D

just as a reference, my 3600+ @ 2.4ghz doesnt bottleneck my 8800GTS, i get ~80% cpu usage while playing Rainbow 6:Vegas, and ~90% cpu usage while playing the UT3 Demo

I might stick with only 1 8600gt without sli motherboard. But just for future reference, does SLI produce actual 2x the performance or will it be slightly less?

It can nearly double the performance of the video cards. But when comparing a pair of lessor performing cards in SLI such as the 8600GT, to a more powerful single card solution like the 8800GT, the performance gain isn't worth the added cost of the second card.

I see, well as for now Im gonna leave the SLI out and just go with 8600gt unless the 8800gt prices go down a bit by the time I get to building my comp.

Who here has SLI setup? And what are your specs? Just curious.

SLI/Crossfire is a great marketing tool, but the bang for you buck is minimal. Besides, the human eye can't see any faster movement than 30 FPS, so why do we need 100 FPS? We don't. The only reason I'd go SLI or Crossfire is better looking graphics, of which ATI does better in that arena. But still, in a few months, that money would be wasted as a new single chip card will out-do any dual card that may be purchased at the time. And cheaper dual card setups are usually not any faster or better looking graphically than a single card at twice the price of one cheaper card.

Basically, unless you're bleeding edge and got money to burn, it's not worth it.

but as i said before 1higher end card is going to preform better then 2 lower end cards

SLI/Crossfire is a great marketing tool, but the bang for you buck is minimal. Besides, the human eye can't see any faster movement than 30 FPS, so why do we need 100 FPS? We don't. The only reason I'd go SLI or Crossfire is better looking graphics, of which ATI does better in that arena. But still, in a few months, that money would be wasted as a new single chip card will out-do any dual card that may be purchased at the time. And cheaper dual card setups are usually not any faster or better looking graphically than a single card at twice the price of one cheaper card.

Basically, unless you're bleeding edge and got money to burn, it's not worth it.

Are you saying ATI has better graphics performance in general, or are you referring to the SLI/Crossfire setup?

Back
Top Bottom