SLI 2x 8X vs 2x 16X

MiniVanMan

Baseband Member
Hello, and greetings. Great forum people.

As the title says, with the new ASUS board out that now does SLI in dual 16x mode as opposed to dual 8x, how much actual performance improvement would I be looking at?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

I know many people were unhappy with SLI (and Crossfire) only being able to handle dual GPUs in 8x/8x, but are these people pretty much chest thumpers or is there really that much benefit to dual 16x?

I'm putting together a system, and just want to know if the extra $80.00 is worth it.

Yeah, get the x16 sli board. If you can get like dual 6600gt's, or 6800gt's, then you will be in heaven. So yeah its worth it. Although a quesion to you. Whats the pci ex x4 slot. I have on on my mobo too. I just never bothered to look into it.

I'm not really sure what's compatible with PCI-e 4x either or even 1x. I've seen some SCSI cards and such for 8x. I'm sure they'll start making more compatible stuff for it in the future.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the x2 16x. $80.00 more now may just save me an upgrade later. I was planning on 2 7800GTs. That should tide me over for a couple of years.

PCI-Express 4x is your standard PCI-Express 16x slot, only clocked down to 4x, so you're not getting the full 16x performance out of it. You'll usually run into the PCI-Express 4x slot when you have a PCI-Express slot and an AGP 8x slot on the same motherboard. :)

Well with my mobo. Its got the p4 processor, 4 banks or ram. Once pci ex slot, one pci ex x4 slot, and then two pic slots.

Back
Top Bottom