setting up new SSD

cfsnipa319

Solid State Member
I bought a new SSD and HDD because I believed my old hard drive was starting to go out. I used a cloning software that cloned everything from my C drive (desktop and system 32) to my SSD and other files to my new hard drive.
I figured it would be easy to just switch over after going through my BIOS to change my boot priorities. I changed the boot priorities and now when I boot it says I need a disk or a drive that has the proper items to boot the pc. I then started it up again and now it says I have to have a proper raid, i am now at the raid page where it says my hdd and ssd are both a "non-raid disk" I am lost on the next step of how much raid volume I should give or how I should get the ssd to load the OS?
This is what I get when I try to boot from the SSD through the bios
1414440696487.jpg

This is what shows up when i boot the SSD and when i put the old hard drive in it also shows that, I am lost at this point any help will be greatful..

Hi cfsnipa319,

What software did you use to clone? Also before you cloned the old hard drive did you make sure that the software allows you to check a box to optimise SSD?

Are both of the hard drives in at the same time? If they are just run the SSD and see what happens, my guess could be the boot sector is confused.

If problem persists you could try to repair your Windows using the DVD disc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I used AOMIE backupper and I did check the box for the SSD.
I have tried starting up the computer with only the SSD, then I tried it with the SSD and new hard drive. I then tried just the plain old hard drive I had before and that seems to come up with the same problem.
With the original hard drive that came with the computer I am getting the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen again. I am stumped as I thought a new a little about computers but it wasn't just as easy as I thought haha.

Forget RAID as far as RAID0 goes. Raid1, maybe, but don't worry about it for now.

Set your BIOS back and set it to boot off of your old drive but put the SSD in as a secondary. Once in Windows do a quick format on the SSD using NTFS. Once it is formatted it should hopefully show up in the BIOS.

You can try using Acronis to clone your old drive on to the SSD if the drive has less than or equal to the capacity of the SSD. I prefer to use at least two drive in my computer with an SSD for Windows and my main apps and a secondary for everything else.

If/when you get the SSD up and running be sure to check out that tutorial for tweaking it for maximum speed and durability:
SSD Tweak Guide - Tech & Computer Forums

I am using windows 8.1 but I have now ran into the issue when I try to boot it.
So I start the pc up normally and put it into bios.
20141027_180040.jpg

d05d0cf9-9cdd-4711-9c0e-f71817c3f8e5.jpg

When I click on the HDD and boot it I get the same original screen I started with....reboot and select proper boot device.
20141027_180058.jpg

I can't even get into the computer at all, the boot manager is confusing me as i cannot get any drive to boot.

cfsnipa319,

Do you have a Windows 8.1 disc? My guess is that the hard drive needs the boot partition fixed. If you run a repair it should be able to detect a partition that has Windows in it.

In other words the computer doesnt know where to boot, since the boot partition is corrupted or missing and therefore cannot give your computer instructions where to boot windows.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom