Setting up LAN party

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
Next Monday is MLK holiday and we're getting out of school. I'm going to set up my star craft/maybe counterstrike LAN party of 4 to 6 people.

Problem is that I don't know which method would be best.

I have a network setup in my house. I have a router connected to a main computer. I'm thinking since we'll have laptops and computers with wireless adapters we would simply connect that way. BUT I'm concerned if my wireless can handle all this traffic. Would 6 people be too much and cause lag??

Second Idea is if I can use the router as a simple network hub/switch. There is about 5 ports on the back that I could connect all the pc/laptops to through Ethernet. But does a switch and router work the same way?

The first option would be the most preferable because I don't wanna lug my computer to the other room.

Would the first work out fine or any other ideas?

9 views and no answers??

BUMPY BUMPY BUMPIDY BUMP

To answer your question, a switch and a router are pretty much the same thing. The whole purpose of a switch is to allocated space for more hardwired computers. A the purpose of a router is to route the connection to other computers via hardwire/wireless. I think your best bet is to connect as much as you can with hardwire...it never goes wrong. You could also experiment...it wouldn't take too long.

since its lan, i dont think it would be much of a problem.

but heres a btr idea.

you can use hamachi which sets up a LAN over the internet. its REALLY good.

starcraft? I wanna play! kekekeke.

To answer your question, a switch and a router are pretty much the same thing. The whole purpose of a switch is to allocated space for more hardwired computers. A the purpose of a router is to route the connection to other computers via hardwire/wireless. I think your best bet is to connect as much as you can with hardwire...it never goes wrong. You could also experiment...it wouldn't take too long.

A switch and a router are not the same thing at all.

Think of a router as your connection to the outside world. Then think of a switch as what connects everything internally. The purpose of a switch is not to just allocate space for more hardwired computers, if this was the case then hub would still be in use.

A switch can enable communications between nodes that are in the same broadcast domain, while a router separates broadcast domains, allowing communication between two networks (e.g. between a LAN and the Internet).

Here is more if you want to read about it.

* Hub - A hub is the least complicated device in networking. Hub can be considered a Layer 1 ( Physical ) device as its job is to transfer anything that comes in one port is sent out to the others. Therefore, every computer connected to the hub can sniff data to/from every other computer. Hub has no knowledge of data being transferred, its just an electrical signal.
* Switch - A switch works in a same way as Hub but little bit more efficient as it pays attention to the traffic that comes across it. It learns where where particular MAC addresses are. In a way switch works on Layer 2 (Data Link). Benefit of using a switch over a hub is that most of the network traffic only goes where it needs to rather than to every port (aka less packet congestion)
* Router - A router is the smartest and most complicated of the bunch. Router typically works on layer 3 (Network). Router can be programmed (like typical computers) to understand, manipulate, and route the packets. Moreover, these routers work are IP-Address aware as compared to switches which worked on MAC Addresses (easily spoofable)

routerswitchqj5.png

For the OP, you can use a router in your setup and it will work just fine.
And you should be able to use Wi-Fi as well.

Back
Top Bottom