Serious computer problem :(

Dream

Beta member
Hello all.

I bought a new computer a few weeks ago and it's having some quite serious problems - it restarts every time I rip a CD, watch DVD's/mpeg's, listen to music or play a game. Sometimes it might not for 10 minutes, but usually within about a minute.

System statistics:

P4 3.0ghz
1gig DDR400 RAM
200g Seagate SATA HDD
NVidia 5700 256meg VIVO edition
MSI 865PE-Neo2 motherboard
Antec TruePower 480w PSU
16x Pioneer dual layer DVD burner
Antec Sonata case
Samsung 172x LCD screen

I think that's about it.

Have been through 3 other different video cards (this one, 64 meg one and two spare 4 meg ones we had kicking around) and that didn't fix it. Repaced the stock 380w PSU with a new one, didn't fix it.

Checked for overheating... the CPU runs at ~45degrees C (107?F) and the "system temperature" in the BIOS is about 32 degrees. The video card runs at about 35 degrees. These figures are from the BIOS directly after restart except for the video card, which was taken just before restart.

All fans are working.. got some RAM from a working computer and took the current stuff out - problem persisted.

All drivers are 100% up to date..

I'm completely buggered. Could it be the motherboard that's stuffing it up somehow? I'm getting particularly sick of it restarting continually whenever I try to do anything vaguely intensive...

Any other tests I could perform to attempt to narrow down the problem?

Thanks alot;

Jim

try replacing the power supply. It may be kind of bottlenecking the power a bit and making it muck up.

If hes ripping it apart i dont think its from a nice source but also you aint swaped the cd drive! lol, test test !

netuser, please refrain from speaking like that. from many of your posts, it seems you have no computer knowledge atall except from producing crap forums.

i don't like that gary i mean he spammed us with that stupid "website that msn hates!" crap. and his "soloution" would help nobody.

as for computer knowladge, well, i do actully know a lot but its only recently that ive started to put it to good use and started helping people out.

Back
Top Bottom