Seagate Barracuda and WinXp

Lista1

Beta member
First, Hi to all.
Now, i have a problem. I've got my self a new Seagate Barracuda 200GB Ultra ATA100 hard disk. When i try to install XP on it, i either get a capacity of 136GB, or nothing at all. In both cases installation just stops. I know my motherboard is capable of having ATA100 devices, so it must be the cable. Or maybe not? In that case, which cable should i buy?
Any help would be welcomed. Thanx

xp can only make a partition that is only 136GB. Install xp first then go to windows and make another partition for the extra 64GB space.

Well as i said, i cannot install Windows, because the istallation stops at the very beggining, and shows no signs of life.

No, how am i supposed to do that?
Im trying to install WinXP, and installation stops before i have any options, including the one for formatting.

If you can't format with windows tools, just download a distro of Fedora 2 core, or any other linux distro that has partitioning tools on it, and launch it. I know this is a strange method to partition, but it works, just format all the drives in the setup menu. Then just delete the fedora 2 OS (Or keep it, it's linux!).

I've managed something..
In BIOS, i've chosen "Load Fail Safe" option, and it worked as well. Windows are now installed and running, however, capacity is still limited. It looks like BIOS Flashing is a must. Do you guys know of a good site about that topic? I want to know more, 'cause i could fry my motherboard. And i dont wanna do that ;)

your are going to have to make another partition. The first partition can only be 127 GB or something around there.

Back
Top Bottom