SCSI HDD's and problems related...

Celldamage

Solid State Member
So i am a newbie when it comes to all this computer stuff, but i am learning ever so slowly. I was on ebay and i saw this HDD that was 10k rpm, 160 mb data transfer rate etc... So i got a good deal on it, but i can't figure out how the hell to hook it up. My current mobo has a 40 pin set on it and the HDD is a 80 pin. I have looked for adapters everywhere but to no avail. Is there a such thing as an 80 pin to 40 pin adapter? Can i change the seat on my mobo? I have found everything from an 80-50 pin adapter but nothing to a 40 pin. It is really wearing on me. I like to do every thing myself and i have done a good job so far. I built my latest PC from scratch, but this SCSI sheot pisses me right off. I am beginnig to think that this HDD was put here to torment me. Somebody please help me....

Is there a such thing as an 80 pin to 40 pin adapter?

NO!

SCSI works on 50 and 68 pin configurations. You need a SCSI controller card. These card are VERY expensive for the normal user...anywhere from $250-$1500.

40 pin is for IDE harddrives.

So you have a lot more to learn about computers.

Hey we all were there when we first started out. Just keep learning and don't get frusterated.

Celldamage said:
So i am a newbie when it comes to all this computer stuff, but i am learning ever so slowly. I was on ebay and i saw this HDD that was 10k rpm, 160 mb data transfer rate etc... So i got a good deal on it, but i can't figure out how the hell to hook it up. My current mobo has a 40 pin set on it and the HDD is a 80 pin. I have looked for adapters everywhere but to no avail. Is there a such thing as an 80 pin to 40 pin adapter? Can i change the seat on my mobo? I have found everything from an 80-50 pin adapter but nothing to a 40 pin. It is really wearing on me. I like to do every thing myself and i have done a good job so far. I built my latest PC from scratch, but this SCSI sheot pisses me right off. I am beginnig to think that this HDD was put here to torment me. Somebody please help me....

Not only what Killerdoberman said - but even if you could afford and needed a SCSI Hard Drive and Port; then it wouldn't be worth putting it on a Motherboard with only 40 Pins on the Hard Drive IDE Interface.

Lord...what? You didn't make sense in your last comment. But if you think you can't put a SCSI controller or benefit from having a SCSI when using an IDE 40 pin drive, then you are misinformed about SCSIs and how they work.

Almost all motherboards in the past 8 years come with 40 pin IDE HDD imbedded.

Motherboards with SCSI embedded exist and that's what most servers run on. They also have IDE 40 pin ports as well. SCSI is faster than IDE, but IDE133 is coming very close to the speed of SCSI drives. Overall, SCSI is faster and carries more information per second than IDE drives.

I have a motherboard with 2 IDE Ports (40 pins) on my motherboard and I run an Adaptec Ultra Wide SCSI II controller on my server. It attaches via the PCI slot. And it runs faster even when I have a 40pin IDE port embedded on my mother board. I use the IDE ports for my CD and tape backup.

killerdoberman said:
Lord...what? You didn't make sense in your last comment. But if you think you can't put a SCSI controller or benefit from having a SCSI when using an IDE 40 pin drive, then you are misinformed about SCSIs and how they work.

Almost all motherboards in the past 8 years come with 40 pin IDE HDD imbedded.

Motherboards with SCSI embedded exist and that's what most servers run on. They also have IDE 40 pin ports as well. SCSI is faster than IDE, but IDE133 is coming very close to the speed of SCSI drives. Overall, SCSI is faster and carries more information per second than IDE drives.

I have a motherboard with 2 IDE Ports (40 pins) on my motherboard and I run an Adaptec Ultra Wide SCSI II controller on my server. It attaches via the PCI slot. And it runs faster even when I have a 40pin IDE port embedded on my mother board. I use the IDE ports for my CD and tape backup.

Lol - nah - what I meant was that a Motherboard of the age of 40-Pin Hard Drive IDE Ports (I realise CD IDEs are most of the time but as far as I have seen Hard Drive ones are all 80pin? All the ones I've seen) would probably not be worth purchasing a SCSI Controller or Hard Drive.

Ah, cool.

Back
Top Bottom