SATA Harddrive Installation Help

Lord_Hypnos

Beta member
Hi there,

I just recently purchased and installed a Western Digital 640 Gigabyte SATA harddrive.

My problem is that even though my system recognizes the drive in the BIOS, it wont display when I access My Computer in Windows.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

I am running Windows 2000 for an Operating System.

Any help is apperciated, thanks.

maybe formatting the hard drive in windows under disk management, it then should put the hard drive on line to work

this is how you get there
To start Disk Management:

1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

Are you wanting to format it just as a storage drive? You can download a free utility called Parted Magic, download the zip file and use it from a disc. That will get the disc formatted and partitioned (if you want) for you and make it accessible in windows.

Even though your BIOS recognizes the SATA drive, it still may not be enabled in BIOS. Look at the connector on the motherboard where the drive is plugged in, it should say the port number (something like SATA 1, SATA 2, etc.). Make sure the SATA port that the drive is plugged into is enabled in BIOS.

Not sure if it's only when installing the windows operating system, but isn't sata not supported by xp and under operating systems? Like to install windows xp using sata hd you would need sata raid drivers right. Would sata raid drivers help in this case what do you guys think ?

Even though your BIOS recognizes the SATA drive, it still may not be enabled in BIOS. Look at the connector on the motherboard where the drive is plugged in, it should say the port number (something like SATA 1, SATA 2, etc.). Make sure the SATA port that the drive is plugged into is enabled in BIOS.

This is the problem I had. After I connected it to the right place on the motherboard, everything worked great! Which mobo do you have?

You might just need to assign the drive a disk letter within the disk management console!

Back
Top Bottom