sapphire radeon hd 4870=Massively huge space hog!

roidrage

Beta member
So, my first computer build is just about done. Unfortunately, I've a road block with my 4870 interfering with the case bar, preventing me from closing the case. Here's a link to the case from Newegg
:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156063
As you can see, the black horizontal bar on the left side of the case holding the 80 mm fan is also creating a problem. After placing the 4870 into the slot, I was unable to close the bar back in place because of the video card. Any suggestions on what to do?

I really don't think it will hurt. That fan supplied extra cooling air to the card. That thing has a pair of 120mm and another 80mm side fan in there, you'll be good.

Dremel's work nicely for cutting unneeded stuff off your case. That black bar doesn't look like it's doing much but advertising. Seems like a poorly designed case to me if they put something right where a card is supposed to go.

you dont need to remove the bar

Just take out the inserts...

I have the same case and the same GPU and I have NO problems the little arms that you are talking about that are in the way (the little green part next to the fan) that is what is stopping it right? Cuz those little pieces slip right out just push on them and they slide right out...:D:D:D

Also I don't know which Mobo you have but the one I have the Master slot is the one on the bottom so it shouldnt affect it unless you have 2 cards...

***Edit well I guess your inserts and fan are Blue... I got the green case***

Yeah Poker, he actually might have to remove it. I have that EXACT SAME CASE and I have mine removed. My cooling is just fine. I like the look of it better with it off anyways haha. I actually think the side fans made the dang airflow screw-y anyways...it messed up the flow from front -> back by pushing and pulling air from the side. In my case (no pun intended :D), I had to remove the bar to make room for my aftermarket VF1000 for my 3870, so the little bars (and the housing even after removing the bars) were pushing on the copper heatsink fins when closing the case--that's a no no! Anywho, I only use one PCIe slot so I had room at the bottom of my case to remove all unnecessary slot covers and jimmy-rig an 80mm fan to exhaust the heat (flowing down from my vid card) out the back of my case..but this may not work in your case because I think the 4870 is a dual slot card, whereas mine is a single. However, being that yours is a dual slot means that it already exhausts the fan heat out the back out of one of the PCI expansion slots...sooooo you should be good.

Haha that was a long explanation.

Just remove the bar. You'll be fine :D

EDIT: Also, btw, thought I should add that the blue fan insert is removable so if you can get the black bar to fit without the blue fan enclosure (simply snaps out), then you can leave the bar in, it just won't snap into place, but the case will hold it there just fine.

Back
Top Bottom