Samsung HD Makes Loud Click

guitardude777

In Runtime
My Samsung Spinpoint 320gb drive has been emitting a loud click once every hour or so. It's been performing fine though, so I'm not sure if anything is wrong. The hd never made this sound until I put it in the new system I built, which is really confusing me. Any ideas on what this sound means?

It could mean that it's making more noise because it's in a different case or because it's dieing. Backup your stuff and check your warranty info.

Click sounds from HDD are bad news. Back up all your data and if you change any of it make sure you back it up with the changes. I'd guess it's on it's way out.

I'm thinking the loud click might be the hard drive turning off then turning right back on. Just noticed that in my power settings, it was set to turn the hard disk off after 20 minutes. I set it to never, so I'll see what that does. The drive has always made a click at startup, which, according the samsung's website, is normal.

I'm thinking the loud click might be the hard drive turning off then turning right back on. Just noticed that in my power settings, it was set to turn the hard disk off after 20 minutes. I set it to never, so I'll see what that does. The drive has always made a click at startup, which, according the samsung's website, is normal.

This could be your issue, especially since you just built a new system. This feature was set to never on your old computer, right?

This could be your issue, especially since you just built a new system. This feature was set to never on your old computer, right?

Yes, it was. But what's confusing is that it will make the click sometimes when I am using the computer, so maybe it's not that setting.

Back
Top Bottom