Run out os sata ports :(

Jake-

In Runtime
Hello Peoples :)

I have 3 HDD's and 2 SSD's and a DVD drive, that all 6 of my SATA ports taken. I have also filled up all my expansion bays with two GPU's and a Sound card so a SATA PCI card is out of the question.

For a couple of weeks now i've been wondering how to add another HDD. Today i have had a brain wave. My mobo has a E-SATA port on the back.

My Question's:

Can i pipe a E-SATA to SATA cable through my case and plug it into the HDD?
Will it be a stable connection with no 'drop outs'? (or more than normal)
Will this cable do the trick?
SATA to SATA E-SATA Shielded HDD Caddy Hard Disk Cable 15CM 20CM 30CM 50CM 1M 2M | eBay

This will work, although I would get a big hdd and put the data from hdd 2 and 3 on it, then replace those two with that one.

Larger drives can be formatted in to smaller logical drives. They appear in the drive list as physical drives. Down side to that is when the physical drive goes "BOOM!!!", all the logical drives go with it. But I personally would go with larger drives on the 6gig ports and smaller drives on the 3 gig ports.
People have to give serious thought to how much projected storage they will need at the time of the build. I know that's not an exact science, but a little overkill doesn't hurt.

Thanks for Responses :) I have never had any experience with E-SATA ports so was just concerned over reliability.

I have 3x 2TB HDD's all 7200RPM For Data (on 3 gig ports) and the 2x 256GB SSD's for programs and games (on the 6 gig). However my games have swallowed up my SSD's so am looking at buying a Fast 1TB for Game Installs.

Do you guys reckon move one of the Data drives to E-SATA and have the new drive via SATA or doesn't really matter?

Back
Top Bottom