Reply Needed ASAP - Computer Not Booting

datkins91

In Runtime
Hello,

If someone can help me out as soon as possible it would be much appreciated.

Recently my computer just started crashing. My screen would just go black but the computer still running. Sometimes when I tried turning it back on the screen would be black. But after switching it off at the power supply and then on again, it would boot just fine. I'm sure it isn't the screen that's going because it turns on fine, but doesn't pick anything up. Also if I was watching something the volume would just go as well, so something in the computer is going funny and not the monitor I think.

Now when I turn it on I'm not getting anything at all... the screen stays black. The computer sounds like it's running fine however. It makes all the same noises, etc. when booting, but nothing is being displayed. I'm fairly sure something is faulty... as I said, previously when it was on and crashed, all volume, etc. would stop as well.

I noticed on a couple of occasions that when I hit the desk or moved suddenly, it would crash. So last night I decided just before I went to bed I would test to see if this is the case. So I hit my desk (not massively hard) and sure enough the screen went blank. It turned on this morning just fine, but it's crashed again and isn't coming back on. Like I say, the computer sounds fine when booting up, but nothing showing.

My computer isn't old.. it's about a year and a half.

8350FX
2x R9 270s Crossfire
8gb RAM
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 m/b
Windows 10 on 840 Evo SSD

I've tried unplugging the SSD to see if it would boot to BIOS, but it didn't. I've tried making sure all connections are okay but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Update:

I just tried removing my twos sticks of RAM, blowing them slightly (because why the hell not, I'm desperate) and plugged them in. Turned it on, screen went blank, then after a moment it came up asking me about the CMOS settings, whether I wanted to load defaults or run setup (I should have mentioned previously... I cleared CMOS on the motherboard too, so would be expecting something like this) ... I am now in the BIOS which is a great sign.. but what does this tell us about what's making my computer go funny?

Last edited:
Oh great, now after it getting to BIOS and I successfully loaded it to Windows, tried a few things, etc. I decided to restart the computer to go into BIOS.. upon restarting.. blank screen. What the hell is going on?

Update:

Left it running blank screen for a while and then just simply pressed the 'reset' button on my computer and loaded up. I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Hi Cracker,

No, I wouldn't say they are. Maybe the secondary graphics card is EVER so slightly.. but no more than it ever has been I would say?

Can someone explain this at all?? In BIOS it also says my memory is running single channel and not dual channel? It says 8Gb in BIOS, but task manager is saying only 4Gb available.. can't understand this?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can someone explain this at all?? In BIOS it also says my memory is running single channel and not dual channel? It says 8Gb in BIOS, but task manager is saying only 4Gb available.. can't understand this?

I've switched my memory into the alternate DIMM slots... and now it's back to dual channel and reporting the full 8Gb again. Is it possibly the other DIMM slots have turned faulty, being the cause of my crashes in any way?

It could be the slots or the RAM modules. Either could be faulty along with numerous other things on the mother board. The contacts do get verdi gris (crap) on them. I clean my RAM modules using a rubber eraser, occasionally running it along the module contacts but the DIMM slots are much much more difficult to clean. Do not use any sort of cleaning fluid such as WD40 or anything like that as it will cause even more serious problems. I just use an air blower can on the slots to blow any dust out. But as I said it could be faulty slots, faulty modules or numerous other things on the MB. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom