Removing Heatsink(Slot1)

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Hello all, I recently did an upgrade on my video computer from a PIII 600 to a 733. The problem is the 733 came out of a machine where it was cooled by the power supply fan via a duct. I would like to simply swap heatsinks, but I don't see how to remove this one. The 600 is no problem, it just has a thing you twist on the back and off it comes. The 733, however, is very confusing.

http://www.imsales.com/graphics/cpus/intel_pent3_cpu_secc2.gif

This is almost exactly what it looks like. On the front, there are 2 metal bars that go across then connect to 2 of the holes. Do I need to pull these out? I don't do much work with Slot1's nor do I ever like messing with heatsinks. It's so easy to slip up :eek:

Best idea would be to get somebody else to do it - they are buggers to fiddle with. Other than that; mount the Fan on the Heatsink as you normally would - just Vertically instead of Horizonally :D

I used to have a fan on it with some zip ties, but it just wouldn't make it any cooler for some reason. It was a good fan too, the same one I used on my Athlon 1400. I think it was at a bit of an angle, so I'm wondering if most of the air was just diverted away from it. Maybe I'll try again if I find some screws that'll fit.

Back
Top Bottom