Remote for compy

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Just a quick question here... I've seen learning remotes and such for TV's, so why can't computers do the same thing? I was thinking how nice it would be able to control my laptop by teaching it commands from say the remote I use for my VCR. Then I could just connect it to a TV and control it from a distance.

Any software like this out there? I know there are remotes and cards/USB devices to do this, but I'd like to use stuff I have without spending any $$$ ;P

If you plug it into the TV, whatever software you use you won't be able to get the Remote Control information back through the Scart Lead, or even through the S-Video leads, so you will certainly needsome extra hardware, certainly a unit for picking up Remote Control Signals. Windows XP Media Edition has the software to integrate Remote Controls into the usage, you should look into the make up of Media Edition Computers.

Blah, I'm not putting XP on this computer! And I know I can't go THOUGH the TV/svhs cables. I have IR on my laptop. I just want it to LEARN the remotes I use just like some remotes can learn others. That his to be possible, somehow...

Back
Top Bottom