Regarding Nehalem

Krydel

Solid State Member
When do you think programs and games alike will make use of such power? As it stands most games dont make use of multiple core solutions and the cpu stopped being the bottleneck for gaming rigs a long time ago. Surely the GFX will still be the most important peice of hardware, that is until games with high cpu requirements start being dished out.

I'm upgrading to a wolfdale cpu/mobo combo in a couple weeks and of course am sore about the nehalem coming out in october as it will mean i have to wait yet again to august the following year to upgrade (by which time probably another cpu will have been announced)

$284 for the cheapest 2.66ghz. With the cost of living in the UK etc - that would be around £200 i think, twice what im about to pay for. (E8400)

Question is, do i wait till october and see then what i can do with £300? or is that just not worth it, seeing as though no doubt the leap to DDR3 will now be made. Guesstimate from ebuyer: So, thats £75 for 2gb of cheap ddr3, i would say £150-200 for the new motherboards mid-range, and £200 for the cpu. Could be as much as a £500 switch of cpu purely because of the need for new socket motherboard and memory.

Now i know you rich so and so's who have too much money will be fine, but i think a rather large proportion of mid range gamers without expendable capital will be stuck with what to do like myself. Options?

I reiterate, is it worth waiting? or do i buy what i plan to and be left behind (pesimistic i know) with upcoming games?

Expensive Choice,

/discuss

Personally I am going to wait, I know my current rig is good for awhile anyways, but with all the problems I am having with it I want a new rig. I'm going to wait and upgrade, and being in the military (lower enlisted at that) I don't have a ton of money either (I bought my current rig with my signing bonus... bad idea haha) I do think that games are going to start becoming more demanding CPU wise here in the near future BUT I don't think it'll be a lot more demanding.

Again...I think it's worth waiting for

Personally I am going to wait, I know my current rig is good for awhile anyways, but with all the problems I am having with it I want a new rig. I'm going to wait and upgrade, and being in the military (lower enlisted at that) I don't have a ton of money either (I bought my current rig with my signing bonus... bad idea haha) I do think that games are going to start becoming more demanding CPU wise here in the near future BUT I don't think it'll be a lot more demanding.

Again...I think it's worth waiting for

In which case i think i will invest in a 4870 for now i think, upgrade motherboard, ram and CPU later on. Damn, there goes my plan. I hope a 4870 with a amd athlon 3200+ and ddr400 will still run ok :s I dont get to upgrade again till xmas

Back
Top Bottom