reformatting from bios...can you?

pffft?

Baseband Member
how do i reformat a computer that doesnt even have xp installed?

can i reformat from the setup menu where you can adjust the cmos and bios settings and all that stuff in the menu that you can launch from you startup screen?

You can reformat by using a Windows 98 Startup Disk that contain the FDISK utility for partitioning and the FORMAT utility to format the partitions after that has been setup.

im sorry but i have no clue what you just said, and do you mean windows xp instead of 98. how would i go about doing all this partioning, i get an error everytime i boot up and i cant do anything. no way i can clear the hdd by using that first startup menu?

I don't think you can reformat by going through the BIOS. If you can, I have never seen it done before.

What operating system do you have on your computer?

If you have a windows XP cd,during setup process it will ask you to format the disk and just follow the instructions. Also try TRD's suggestion if you got the win98 startup disk. You can create that disk if you have or you might find a PC running windows98 OS.I am not so sure if that is located under control panel-add/remove programs and then there is a tab there labeled startup disk.

the first time i tried to install it just stopped at the system nt file system thing is was trying to install, now everytime i start the computer up with or without the disk it just gives my an error and i can go no further. i am stuck?

Boot with your XP cd.. Go to install the OS, not repair..
Select your partition. but this time Delete the partition. Then create the partition.. It will now ask you to format as fat32 or NTFS.. Choose your liking,, Then the install should go..

If it still stalls in the install then you have a few things wrong.. Overheating CPU, Overheating Harddrive, Bad CD rom or bad disk.

I heard to clear out bios take your battery out for 45 sec or so. If your talking about reformating why go though bios?

Back
Top Bottom