Reformat??

copiman

In Runtime
I want to clean a hard drive that has a corrupted vista on it. Then install Windows 7. What is the best way to clean the hard drive before installing 7? I have never done this before. Also I noticed that the C: is the recovery and the D: is the other. I guess this would not really matter since I wiping it clean, right? Need your thoughts and guidance.

I've use Dban just download it burn an iOS image boot off cd hit autonuke and wait. Works good haven't ha a problem with it yet.

Go to the driver maker's website and download the tools they offer to wipe the drive and reformat it.

Thanks everyone for your response.Tried both tools from the manufacture website. One says " the selected drive is your Windows system and must not be erased". The other will not load. It says "this can occur if windows installer service is not correctly installed". This PC has a lot of issues. Thought wiping it and loading a better OS would be the ticket. Would rather have 7 anyway. Any thoughts?

Personally I think windows 7 is better then vista did you download Dban?

When you load up the Windows installation disc, Click on custom when it asks you to either upgrade or custom and click on the drive and then click format.

When you load up the Windows installation disc, Click on custom when it asks you to either upgrade or custom and click on the drive and then click format.

Yea, that'll be fine for what you're trying to do. Unless you're trying to completely destroy data, you don't need to use a third party piece of software for formatting.

Yea, that'll be fine for what you're trying to do. Unless you're trying to completely destroy data, you don't need to use a third party piece of software for formatting.

The PC is all wacked out. There is no data that needs to be saved. All I want to do is load a new OS. That way the only thing on the PC is the OS. I can add apps as I go. Just trying to start with a clean PC with new OS. Having said that, just use custom or dban? Just making sure before I implement something. I feel like Captain Kirk. Going where I have not been before, but its good training.

Custom will be fine for what you want. Using third party programs to format makes that data un-recoverable by other third party programs. IE, you're selling the computer and don't want somebody to be able to recover your data.

If you use custom, that data is still technically there on the drive in a raw form but windows won't see it. You'd need a third party program to recover it, so; just use custom.

Back
Top Bottom