Recovery console for XP

sensesfail

Baseband Member
I am trying to use the recovery console facility with my original XP CD and it is asking me for an administrator password.
I didn't use one with the original set-up, can anybody tell me if there is a standard password that is used or alternatively another way round rebooting windows after having lost the 'system32\drivers\nvata.sys' file.

Any help at all would be grateful, thanks.

Uuumm..best thing.

Boot from XP cd, dont use recovery console. Start to reinstall windows, and when it comes up with installed versions of Windows, repair that one.

Dont use recovery console. Easier the other way. You wont lose settings then, or files.

Hi
Ive tried that but it still takes me back to asking for a system administrator password
Any other ideas as I have a lot of stuff in My documents folder that i cant afford to lose if I re-install.
Thanks

when it asks me i just hit enter with it blank, because i dont know any administrator password, and it lets me continue.

try that (simple i know)

Finally got to recovery console,need to replace file
SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\nvata.sys
Can somebody tell me how to do this
thanks

That's a system file. You're going the long and most dangerous route.
From the start button select run. Type in just as you see it here. sfc /scannow
Yes the space is in there for a reason. But if you leave it out it doesn't work. Put your xp cd in the drive and when it opens click exit. Next click ok on the command window and go have lunch.

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply but unfortunately the machine will not boot.Can I
do it another way ?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom