rebuilding my first computer

dman444

Beta member
hello all CF people

I am attemting to rebuild my first computer and it quite frankly scares the hell out of me. I am familiar with swapping componets, soldering, and i have taken a few laptops apart and fixed the charging ports. I just have a little $$$ wrapped up in this build and don't want to smoke any componets. I use the computer primarily for surfing the internet, and i do have the computer tied to my TV via an HDMI cable. I just want a fast stable computer that can DL files fast and watch videos on you tube without freezing all the time. I'm still waiting on a few more componets and probably won't start tearing it apart until this weekend. listed below are the componets i bought.

AMD phenom II X6 black edition processor clocked @ 3.3GHz
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard
Freezer pro 7 rev.2 processor fan
G.Skill DDR3-2000 RAM (4GBx2)
Viotech 850W modular power supply 20/24 pin
9 pin serial port card with 10 pin head cable

I am using my old seagate 500 gig SATA drive and my old LG DVD burner.

First off I'm hoping i bought compatible componets and that it is sufficent for what I'm trying to accomplish. I have JUST the operating system (windows 7 pro) on the HD right now, and I do plan on OC ing the processor to around 4 GHz.
I'm sure it's not going to be as easy as bolting all the parts together and violia i have a new computer. I'm not sure what other issues I'm going to encounter so I humbly ask for any advice on what to do next (Ie jumpers switches...etc)to make this little project go as smooth as possible. I did get a bios disk with the mobo.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Even though I am experienced with computers, I am always scared of something going wrong (sits in the back of my mind while the sweat drips off my head) with my builds.

Honestly, you did go a bit overkill with the CPU and especially the PSU for what you are using the computer for.. haha But, it is compatible :)

I recommend taking a lot of photos with your phone or camera before you take ur computer apart (especially the jumpers on the pwr and hdd light, etc.) It is not hard to rebuild a computer, it just takes patience.

Thanks for the reply... Although the asus mobo has an onboard HD graphics card it also has 2pci express slots. I plan on buying a graphics card (down the line a bit) and enable the cross fire effect to maximize my picture quality. In the asus manual it says if both pci slots are being used to run a 1,000 watt power supply which even I thought was overkill lol.. Also my old power supply was only 20 pin and my new mobo is 24 pin. Although I read u can use a 20 pin supply with a 24 pin mobo I just wanted to simplify the install and not make a mistake in the power system. Also this supply is cross fire ready..

If you going for a good gpu in the future i would say you would want to upgrade the psu first, it should work for now but if you are getting a high quality gpu you should have a high quality psu. A bad qualtiy psu CAN lead to disastrous things. some brands to consider include Corsair, Seasonic, antec. Also you would need to ensure there is enough amps on the 12v rail to power your chosen GPU.
It isnt to hard to set everything up and get it running, but make sure you discharge all static before you start.

Indeed, the computer is pretty much overkill for just surfing internet, and downloading files fast - after getting an average computer, you should of sorted out a decent interent connection (Wired / Wireless) and components (router etc), if you havent already! However since you have already bought them, will work on components side.. Watching videos on youtube isnt too tasking but hey!

Ideally it would be nice to know what you are rebuilding (your old build?) To me it looks like a completely new build, except a hard / DVD Drive. Shouldnt have too many problems. Just make sure you have all the latest updates (BIOS, Drivers etc) for your components, and you should be ok.

So what do you need help with, making this go smoothly? I personally wouldnt overclock your processor to start with - it should be plenty powerful enough for what you need it to do @ 3.3GHZ. Also usual things, make sure you are working in a static free environment, keep receipts etc, lay things out, and know what order you are going to do things.. Umm, thermal paste on processor, clean the old case out (if you are using it) before hand with some compressed air while everything is out of it, that sort of stuff!

Yeah I suppose I should have stated that first. I'm not at home right now to get the old mobo tag but it started something like MK... Not sure the rest. But it is an AMD athalon duo core2 processor with 4 gigs of memory 500 gig hd with an asus 3540 (or something like that) vid card. I don't have cable internet capability so I am using the fastest DSL connection available through AT+T. I have an AT+T 2wire wireless router but my desktop is hard wired from the router.

Oh yeah I did buy thermal paste as well

Yeah I suppose I should have stated that first. I'm not at home right now to get the old mobo tag but it started something like MK... Not sure the rest. But it is an AMD athalon duo core2 processor with 4 gigs of memory 500 gig hd with an asus 3540 (or something like that) vid card. I don't have cable internet capability so I am using the fastest DSL connection available through AT+T. I have an AT+T 2wire wireless router but my desktop is hard wired from the router.

My house is very dry and IS suspect to static charges. How do I insure I don't damage the build with a static charge? Is there a wrist strap I can buy at let's say radio shack? And if so where do I connect the ground end? Hopefully my PS will be ok. It is a dual rail supply that is cross fire ready... Whatever that means lol

Back
Top Bottom