"Reboot and select proper boot device" Message

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Had a funny incident occur today. Don't know if this is related or all coincidence, but I'll make it short and sweet.

1. Turned on my external HD today, and left it on.
2. Downloaded an ISO of Windows XP Home to reinstall on my home laptop. (Loved the fact that I had saved the product key sticker.)
3. Uninstalled Avast, restarted the computer, and got the "Select Boot Device" message.

???

I first realized that my external HD was still connected and running, so I figured that this was the problem. I disconnected it, turned it off, rebooted, and was greeted with the same message over and over again. I even disconnected the PC for ~20 minutes and no changes occurred. Still got the same message. FYI, no CD in drive, either.

I was about to reset the CMOS battery when I decided to check the BIOS for power to the main HD (Raptor); to my surprise, it didn't show up in the boot list. So I went ahead and swapped the power cord off my old HD and plugged it into the primary Raptor, and voila, I'm back into Windows.

So, I'm pretty sure that the SATA power cable is toast, correct? Unless I'm missing something here...

Chris

It would seem that way. Did you replug in the SATA power cable? It could have been loose on one end or the other. But if that doesn't work then I'd say the cable is bad.

Yeah, haven't tested the cable again since the problem occurred. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom