Read errors on new computer build, whats going on?

microzee

Baseband Member
I just built my first computer, but I do know quite a bit about computers. My motherboard has one IDE port, and a bunch of sata's. I dont want to buy a sata drive right now, but will eventually get one down the road. For right now i decided to use my old IDE 80 GB drive. The problem is, it has stuff on it. I need to delete this stuff. I have the harddrive set to master, and the cd/dvd drive set to slave, both on one cable. Everything seems to work just fine. I boot up a drive wiper cd, it pops up a screen, and loads some stuff. Heres where i have problems. After I select something, it trys to load up some other stuff.. and then all i get are errors. Errors like disk read error, cannot create ramdisk and a couple others. I tried booting a couple different cd's and although they do pop up the first screen, whenever you select something else you get the errors. Its not the cd, and its not the cd drive, as i was just using this drive in another computer. Im going to try a different ribbon cable, but it might be something else. The motherboard had a couple of the pins bent, due to someone not pulling the ide cable out right. I bent them back carefully, and stuck my cable in. Anyways heres my system:

amd phenom x4 955 CPU
msi 890fxa-gd70 MOBO
msi geforce 8800gts GPU
750watt evga bronze PSU

let me know what you think. In the mean time Ill start by trying a different cable.

Updates:
I will continue to update on different things

I tried a brand new cable, same thing.

Dariks boot and nuke: crc error, system halted

will continue to post on different cds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom