Random Shutdowns During Gaming

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys. So I just installed my new R9 290X that I bought from Ebay about two months ago, and I've been gaming for about a solid month on it. Up until last week, I had no issues. I loved the performance. But after a while of gaming, the PC will randomly shut down. It starts itself back up though, and when I start playing again right away, it shuts down and restarts again. If I let the PC sit for a while, then I start playing again, I can play for a while before it does the random reboot. Is this a heating problem with the R9's stupid hot operating temperature? Should I get an aftermarket cooler on the sucker? Or am I having driver issues? I've downloaded and installed, uninstalled, reinstalled the latest drivers, and I've even tried beta drivers. Nothing is helping.

That would be the first I'd think of, temps. I'd check the cooling capacity of your system.

That would be the first I'd think of, temps. I'd check the cooling capacity of your system.

I think my PC is well ventilated. I have two fans that are directly blowing in on the card, and one fan in the back on the PC blowing outward. Now if this is temps, would the Artic Accelero Xtreme III be sufficient to stop these shenanigans or should I just sell the damn thing and buy a GTX 970 like I should have?

PSU. I had this 100% same exact problem, just I had no idea it was my PSU. But it turned out that's exactly what it was. I had just gotten some new parts and that's when it started. It started because it seemed as if the wattage on my Psu was too low for what I had in my computer. Even if it wasn't the wattage, something didn't work between the PSU and my new parts.

Last edited:
With 2 blowing in and only 1 blowing out you have a positive pressure case. With modern cases you need a negative pressure case. That is, have more fans or a larger fan pulling more air out the back and top than is coming in from the front.

When the pressure is positive it takes longer for the heated air to get out. Some stagnation occurs and things tend to over heat.
Suggest you revise your case's ventilation. More going out than coming in. Say you have 2 120mm coming in you would need 2 140mm in the back or say 3 120mm 2 in the roof and one in the back. This would produce a negative air flow.

On the card it was suggested by a builder guru that works for me to replace the vid card's cooler for one more able to handle the load. Installs basically the same as a CPU cooler. But that will get more heat in to the case you have to get out. So the negative airflow work much better.

PSU. I had this 100% same exact problem, just I had no idea it was my PSU. But it turned out that's exactly what it was. I had just gotten some new parts and that's when it started. It started because it seemed as if the wattage on my Psu was too low for what I had in my computer. Even if it wasn't the wattage, something didn't work between the PSU and my new parts.

As I forgot to mention, I have a 850 watter in my PC. No issues there. And like I said, it just started happening last week.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

With 2 blowing in and only 1 blowing out you have a positive pressure case. With modern cases you need a negative pressure case. That is, have more fans or a larger fan pulling more air out the back and top than is coming in from the front.

When the pressure is positive it takes longer for the heated air to get out. Some stagnation occurs and things tend to over heat.
Suggest you revise your case's ventilation. More going out than coming in. Say you have 2 120mm coming in you would need 2 140mm in the back or say 3 120mm 2 in the roof and one in the back. This would produce a negative air flow.

On the card it was suggested by a builder guru that works for me to replace the vid card's cooler for one more able to handle the load. Installs basically the same as a CPU cooler. But that will get more heat in to the case you have to get out. So the negative airflow work much better.

I also forgot to mention I have another fan in the top blowing out :facepalm: I bought the Artic Accelero Xtreme IV. I would've bought the liquid cooler, but seeing as I already have one radiator in the case I didn't figure I could fit another.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Is the fan working on the card though?

Yeah it's running alright. I can hear it cranking up when I'm playing Arma III or Far Cry 4. Watch this vid, and you'll see my struggle....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

If you haven't picked up on it yet, my graphics card is the reference card with the blower design

Last edited:
As I forgot to mention, I have a 850 watter in my PC. No issues there. And like I said, it just started happening last week.

That may not mean anything, you might have compatibility issues or something. It is also possible that your PSU is simply dieing for some reason or another. If I were you i'd at least check it out, a new PSU could save a lot of money in the long run.

That may not mean anything, you might have compatibility issues or something. It is also possible that your PSU is simply dieing for some reason or another. If I were you i'd at least check it out, a new PSU could save a lot of money in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were a PSU problem, it would shut down the computer as soon as it took a load. I think it's actually logical. If I run it for too long, it shuts down and restarts, then if I go right into gaming again, it shuts down again again and again. It won't let me game for a while if I do not let it sit and cool off for a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were a PSU problem, it would shut down the computer as soon as it took a load. I think it's actually logical. If I run it for too long, it shuts down and restarts, then if I go right into gaming again, it shuts down again again and again. It won't let me game for a while if I do not let it sit and cool off for a while.

Ok, you are wrong :lol:

As I said, I had this same exact issue. My PSU was failing, ( not sure why but it was ). I mean 100% the exact same problem. The issue I had could not be any closer to the issue you have. And for me, a new PSU fixed it. :flowers:

I mean literally, I can't say how exactly the same it is, it's that exactly the same. I actually thought myself it was over heating issues, because if I let my computer off for say 3 hours, turned it back on, the computer lasted longer gaming or whatever I was doing, than if I turned it on again right away. If I did not give it a break, it would constantly just shut down a restart, if I let it sit I would get a little more time. So I thought I had cooling issues, nope. I thought maybe a bad CPU, nope. I even switched out ram, Nope... I even took the GPU out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom