Random game freezing?

kkevvy

Baseband Member
Alright, so my computer has randomly been freezing when I play a game for like. 2 hours. It ahppens on Age of Empires 3 mostly, and it just happened in Freelancer. Now, I don't know what the problem is. But it seems it might somehow be aproblem with my soundcard, becuase when it does happen, It makes a really awful high pitched noise from my speakers. The game freezes, my whole computer freezes, and that never happens other than this. Its strange, really... Any help would be great!

Thanks!

vid card and cpu temps?

And if ur mobo has integrated sound then take the sound card off and see if the freezing happens with the integrated one.

I'll bet you it isn't your sound card at all. Have you overclocked your CPU or video card any? Check the temperatures on them like Mammikoura said. When I was having a few stability problems with my computer when overclocking, when playing Far Cry everything would freeze (no artifacts though) and the sound would repeat a split second segment over and over again, but I also use onboard sound (I really need to upgrade that :D). So, just check your temperatures and voltages if you have overclocked, if you have then the voltages may be a little too low to keep it going that far since the power lines do fluctuate a bit. It could be just dropping too low after pumping that much power while playing games for that long.

Sorry, that's probably hard to understand no thanks to my not-so-excellent sentence construction there :)D) but I hope it helps anyway.

I have an MSI 6600 PCI-E 128mb card. Its OC'd a little bit. I dont know about the temps, I have np program to cheack that. I'll turn off the overclocking. Thanks a bunch!

Get Coolbits 2.0 and RivaTuner. Both of them can be found at the Guru of 3D (I'm sure you're familiar with the site). RivaTuner can monitor your temperatures in a graph format while Coolbits only does it instantaneously, but Coolbits also has overclocking options while RivaTuner does not. I use both of these and they're great. I also use SpeedFan. Those three programs cover all of my monitoring/overclocking needs! :D

I also use CPU-Z but that doesn't really count, though it does show voltages.

Back
Top Bottom