Ram in Vista home premium 64bit

cuttersblade

Baseband Member
Just a quick question, Vista is only showing as having 2.93GB of memory installed, i actually have 4GB. Is it saying this just due to the way the memory is being allocated or is it not using all the RAM.

Strange thing is that CPU-Z shows all 4GB.

Cheers

Do you have a dedicated or integrated video card? You could be using shared video memory. Check your BIOS.

Its because your most likely using a 32bit Operating System. You need 64bit Vista to address more then 3.25GB of memory. It verys board to board I only see 2.85gigs in XP. Type Dxdiag in the search box and it will show your total system memory.

???? the title of the thread is "Ram in Vista home premium 64bit" ??

i would think there is some shared memor for your graphics card and if thats not it then its probably only using that amount.

If it is shared, it shouldn't be sharing that much. THere is an update that helps properly address memory, and make vista show all four. If I can find it, I'll link it.

Check this out, I think this is the one you need. if it's not, It'll be benificial any ways.

Read everything first. If it truly is the one I think it is, you'll need to start with only two gigs of RAM in your system. After the update, put the other two back in.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

it didnt fix the problem, but thanks for the help anyway. maybe when we finally get SP1 it will fix it.

other apps will be able to use the other 1gig or so of memory that isnt seen by memory. you shouldnt be loosing any performance from it. windows itself uses ~300mb of ram. you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom