ram in vista

When I had Vista (Beta2, RC1, RC2, RTM, lol) it used ~700MB of my 2GB (DDR400 in those days) just to run itself, other things enabled in Vista could quite conceivably raise this to 1GB, Vista being called "resource hungry" is definitely justified.

Vista buffers alot of things into the ram to make everything run faster. I wouldn't disable the superfetch if I was you.

Its normal for Vista to use roughly 750megs. Remove each gadget and you'll see how much ram there using to run. Also if your running office or something thats going to use more ram up.

Example I run 4 gadgets the clock,calander,everest and the notepad. If I leave say limewire up a few firefox browsers up, run my anti virus and have some word files open i'm down to like 2.3gigs free.

Thats why I say get 4gigs if you using Vista. Unless you want to close out of everything when you want to game your going to use 2 gigs very easy.

I should add if your using a 32bit Vista don't get another 2 gigs though because it won't reconize all of it. Right now i'm using 32% between 4 firefox browsers and MP11 and everest running.

im sitting @ 37% on 2.5 gigs idle. about 63% with media center running. but since the main thing that machine does is run media center it doesnt bother me.

i dont find superfetch to be of any use at all really. it does boost preformance in a game if u accidentally exit and need to reboot the game and tthe loading screens are faster but other than that, no difference.

Back
Top Bottom