Ram timings

nelson1

Solid State Member
Will I be able to tell a difference, specifically like SuperPi or any other testing the difference between 4-4-4-12, 4-4-4-11(or 10, 9 ect....)?

There will be a difference, I'm not sure if it will be a great deal or even noticable, but your Memory scores in benchmarks such as EVEREST will increase a bit

Matt

oh okay, I was curious because I overclocked my E4300 and my ram timings at 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-12 were the same in SuperPi. 1mb in 19secs and 2mb in 41 secs. I didn't see much of a difference.

The only difference you'll see is in the tests. You really wont notice any speed difference in normal day to day use. :D

from 4-4-4-12 to 4-4-4-11 is so small that it probably won't even show in the tests.
Now between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-12 there should be some difference, but super-pi might not be the best program available to test ram, it's more of a cpu thing. (though ram still does have an effect too)

I think looser timings have less of an effect on DDR2 than DDR. I remember seeing benchmarks on tighter timings versus higher mhz, and the tighter timings achieved lower scores. I think it was on Anandtech sometime back.

thanks for the replies guys.

right now I am testing a E6300 system, right now its at 3.33ghz. 476*7
The memory is at 5-5-5-12. Now I had to put 1.5volts to the cpu, it wouldn't pass orthos unless I put it at 1.5. The temp hovered around 39-41.

I'm going to 3.5ghz but I am going to have to watch my temp real carefully.

Super Pi really benefits from tight timings and fast RAM speed. So if you could run 550mhz (1100mhz effective) @ 4-4-4-8, it would be better.

ownage said:
Super Pi really benefits from tight timings and fast RAM speed. So if you could run 550mhz (1100mhz effective) @ 4-4-4-8, it would be better.

I would probably have to put more juice into my ram than. Probably 2.25 or 2.3. I have a pair of G-Skill rams, it can run a real tight timings at 4-4-3-5 but the farther I push it the looser I have to set it. I'll try 4-4-4-12 first than the tRas to 8.

Back
Top Bottom