ram swapping

mighty_chick

Fully Optimized
ok I just wanna see how much better my friends computer will run with a total of 768mb of ram. right now he is using a single 256mb stick, all i have to do is take out mine and stick it in his and it should automatically start using that ram right? and tehn after i test it for like 15-30 mins i can just take it out and then stick it back in mine and his will run like it did before. i just wanted to make sure all i had to do was just take out of mine and stick in his and then vice versa to stick it back in mine

it's ok, just make sure your memory is running the same speed as his. Both DDR333, DDR400? I don't see any reason why it won't work unless they're different technology and different speed.

It's better to have the same brand too. Some memory modules are a bit picky and won't work well when combining different manufactueres RAM. It won't hurt to try it out.

no mine is pc 2700 and his is pc2100 but i think a guy told me before that if one stick is faster than the other it will run as fast as the slowest stick

I know that for the older PC100 and the PC133 is ok. The PC133 will just step down to the PC100 level. I never attempted with the DDR SDRAM before. Maybe try it out and if nothing happens upon boot up, pull the other one out. Interesting to see what happens though.

well i dont want to screw up my ram...i'ma ask him what his mhz is..mine is 266mhz DDR SDRAM

edit>>> his is 133mhz DDR SDRAM

because im keeping my 512mb stick and buying a 1gb soon...but i want to see what his computer will run like with 768mb of ram...right now its kinda slow and i wanna se ehow much of an improvement it would be

my whole question is do i just unplug my 512mb stick and stick it into his and then just take it back out and stick it back into mine then im done or is there a few steps (add hardware wizard, etc.) and if i do will it screw up my ram?

so nobody else has a answer??

the reason im being so impatient is because my friend can get an amazing deal on 512mb ram but the guy has someone else who is going to buy it if my friend doesnt tell him yes or no tomorrow...and my friend isnt sure if its worth it, (plus he doesnt have a lot of money anyway, his whole computer was $350.00 canadian!!!)

Back
Top Bottom