RAM slowing down computer

chargers5583

Beta member
Well, I started off with 4gb of RAM from when I bought this computer 3 years ago. I decided to upgrade it to 8gb of RAM, and bought the exact same brand of RAM because I didn't want there to be anything wrong. When I put only 2gb of RAM just to test it out, my computer was lagging like crazy and uses way too much CPU. Just sitting and doing nothing, it uses %14 of CPU (on only 4gb it would use 0%-1%) I really have no idea why it is doing this. If you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Well, you put only 2GB in-- Win takes a lot of overhead and it was probably busy paging in and out of virtual memory.

I also forgot to mention I put 2gb in, then I put the extra 2gb in to get 8gb and see if that fixed the problem. It didn't, and I tried everything I could to make it stop lagging with 6gb and 8gb but it was still lagging. It takes 5 minutes just to load windows whereas if I only have 4gb in, then it loads in about 1 minute. I really don't see why it takes up all my cpu just to handle 6gb or 8gb of RAM

Well, perhaps the speed of the new RAM chips is significantly slower than the old.

Back
Top Bottom