RAM Problem

NeMMeN

Baseband Member
Hey, Well I recently purchased 4 gigs (2x2) of RAM and I have an additional 2 gigs (1x2) of RAM. I removed the 2 gigs of RAM and installed the 4 gigs. I went to check to see if the computer recognized it and it didn't. It said I have 2.75 gigs of ram. I downloaded CPU-Z and it's telling me that slot 1 and 2 have 2048mbs of RAM. I'm guessing CPU-Z recognized it. Just wanted to make sure every things alright.

I also wanted to know if it would be possible for me to add the extra 2 gigs of RAM that I have. my mobo could support 8 gigs. I have a XFX MB-N680-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard.

Your running a 32-bit OS; which can usually maxes out at recognizing 3 gigs of ram. This is simply because of the architechture of the operating system and nothing you can do about it short of upgrading to a 64 bit OS.

The reason why you have 2.75 gigs instead of 3 is because 256mb of ram are being used for behind the scenes stuff, and aren't available as memory to be used by non-system-essential programs.

Back
Top Bottom