RAM Overclocking...psht does do much??

TrAn$MiT

Solid State Member
Yea I did a little bit a research and seems like RAM doesn't get overclocked nearly as much as CPUs do. Few places said it doesn't boost your system very much. Plus I couldn't find an idiot prof tourtial to teach me how to do it, I think all you have to do is set the MEM (DDR) MHz up in bios, but Im unsure. Another place said to turn the EPP Memory % down in bios (couldn't find that one). So I guess if anyone has a really good tourtial to inform me, please share, and do you think it's silly to over clock RAM? Oh and how do you tell how hot your RAM is cause Speedfan doesn't.

Thanks

I don't think overclocking you RAM increases speeds majorly. I'd keep them at stock settings to keep stability.

well in essence overclocking your cpu usually requires you to overclock the RAM too and i agree with lhuser it wont increase performance

If you want to OC DDR, then I would recommend you overclocking DDR. They have some DDR sticks at 533MHZ Max. My board supports up to that speed by default. Yours might need some tweaking.

If your overclocking your CPU alot, and using a divider to keep RAM speed low, then you won't get much from your OC, because it will be a bottleneck.

and as for the temperatures, there is no temp probe on ram sticks. There might be some brands that have them, but most don't.

Yeah, if you want your RAM to run cooler, put fans in front of the sticks or buy RAM coolers with heatpipes or something, like the one Thermalright made.

Yes, there is no temp probe on the sticks of RAM. But you see, unless you pump high volts into your RAM, they shouldn't get too hot. You don't want to run your RAM in less than a 1:1 ratio with your FSB:RAM speeds. Or else you will lose a lot of performance especially with Intel processors. The best might be 4:5 if your RAM can handle it. Intel processors like the additional bandwidth.

Yea, ownage I relized that the other night when I did all my processor overclocking, got it up to 2.86 (orginally 1.86MHz ) some of my startup items didn't run but windows did boot. And I did have proformance downgrade quite a bit actually. I've got Corsair CM2X1024-6400 1GB DDR2-800. Which is 800 MEM MHz in bios, my HMz in bios for CPU was 1600(aprox). Lol surprisingly 3dmark 06 ran, ran better and scored better. Now Im at 2.07MHz which is 1124 in bios, which ironicly is about 4:5 ratio :D. I need to get another stick of RAM(1gb) to overclock my processor and not loose proformance dont I? or could I give my RAM more voltage and raise the settings(MEM MHz) in bios? BTW my RAM has a heat spreader on it ;\.

Since you only have 1 stick of RAM, i would get another to run dual channel, gives you more performance and gives the processor more bandwidth. The heat spreader is okay as long as your not giving the RAM more than 2.4V. Can you do me a favor? What version is the RAM. It should say on the sticker as Vx.x You can always run 1:1 all the way up to 400FSB, which would give you 2.8Ghz on the cpu and 800Mhz on the RAM, since that is what it is rated for.

Back
Top Bottom