ram heatspreaders

Taylor1

Daemon Poster
Are ram heatspreaders really necessary? Or is it just for overclocking? Im probably gonna get another gig of ram. im debating whether or not to get 2 sticks or 1. i wanna get the cheapest price, but the same performance. Id like to stay with PQI, im not sure if it matters if i get a diff brand. PQI seems ok. i kinda want one stick incase i upgrade later, and a stick w/out the heatspreader is cheaper, so i have no idear! any input?

I ain't 100 percent sure but I think you are right in the terms of only needing ram heat spreaders if you are overclocking. I guess you could sorta compare it to a hard drive cooler. As for the ram I am never heard of PQI so make sure you look into that. I have kingston and if hasn't let me down yet (been using it for about a year now) . In terms of the number of sticks make sure that you mobo doesn't have a dual ram config or else if get 1 stick it won't work.

No, brand doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is DDR2, DDR, etc...

hascet said:
No, brand doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is DDR2, DDR, etc...

Unless you're doing dual channel in which case dont the sticks have to be identical?

I have heatspreaders on my RAM sticks, I like the look of them +they give space for the LEDs :D:
xms2_6400pro_04.jpg

VirtualDrone said:
I ain't 100 percent sure but I think you are right in the terms of only needing ram heat spreaders if you are overclocking. I guess you could sorta compare it to a hard drive cooler. As for the ram I am never heard of PQI so make sure you look into that. I have kingston and if hasn't let me down yet (been using it for about a year now) . In terms of the number of sticks make sure that you mobo doesn't have a dual ram config or else if get 1 stick it won't work.

If the mobo supports dual channel it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work if there are less than 2 sticks of ram. It will work just fine with 1 stick, though of course it won't be using the dual channel mode.
And you don't really need to ram heat spreader, I've never used any and my ram is fine. Though it wouldn't hurt to have one, but it's not necessary.

mammikoura said:
If the mobo supports dual channel it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work if there are less than 2 sticks of ram. It will work just fine with 1 stick, though of course it won't be using the dual channel mode.
And you don't really need to ram heat spreader, I've never used any and my ram is fine. Though it wouldn't hurt to have one, but it's not necessary.
Okay sorry my bad I thought you needed two sticks if your mobo has dual channel. I guess not.

Back
Top Bottom