Ram buying help

DoctoerSnipe

Solid State Member
I have an ASUS P4P8X SE motherboard with "Dual Channel DDR Memory" and an Intel 865P Chipset. I have two sticks of 256mb RAM in the Motherboard right now, and I'm looking to buy two more sticks of 256mb each, so I can have 1gb of RAM. Now, could someone tell me what RAM I have to buy? I don't know which PC-???? one to buy, or whatever. All I know is that it has to be 184-Pin DDR Ram. But, there are others that I have seen with that name and they look totally different than what I have in my PC right now, but yet they say 184-Pin! Please help me out!

This is my Motherboard that I have: http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=183&l1=3&l2=12&l3=32

So, help me out guys please! I don't wanna buy the wrong kind of RAM! Thank you very much!

=Snipe Out= :D

It says :p

"4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB 3200(O.C)/2700/2100 non-ECC"

So it supports 4GB, with PC3200 speed RAM, which is another meaning for DDR400

I hope this helps :)

If it says: "4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB 3200(O.C)/2700/2100 non-ECC", does that mean it will ALSO support PC2700, and PC2100, besides the PC3200 mentioned above?

Yes, it does mean it will support slower RAM too, yet to have your board run at maximum speed, go with the faster memory.

SOMETHING I OVERLOOKED:

There is something I overlooked though before.

If your old RAM chips already in the machine are one of the slower chip speeds, getting faster RAM to add to the amount already there will make the faster RAM slow down to the slower RAM chip's speed, so its not advisable, and is a waste of money in doing so if this is the case.

To find out (if you don't want to replace and just sell the RAM in already if its slower) what RAM speed the others are running to:

Download this program :)

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

This will tell you the RAM speed in already, and it may guide to to either get the slower RAM, which will be cheaper, but the motherboard won't run as fast as if you used the faster RAM it can support.
If you replaced them all with 2x512mb chips though running at PC3200 (not really that expensive to do), your system will be running at the speed it was capable of doing.

WHEN YOU LOAD THE PROGRAM:

To find out, simply run the program after installation, and go to Motherboard, and then click on SPD. Within the list it will tell you the RAM speed the chips are running at that are in at the moment.

I hope this helps :)

it should but instead of buying 2 more sticks of 256 I would suggest getting one stick of 512 that way you have more room to upgrade in the future

I agree.

Because your chips are Dual Channel, I've had the thought that only PC3200 RAM can run using that anyway, so you probably do have the fastest RAM, and so it'll make the upgrade better for you :)

Do what I said above though, as a precaution. Its also a great program to tell you anything else you might not know about your computer.

This is what it says in that program I was told to download:

Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5

@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

So, does this mean that I should get only RAM that is in pairs of 256mb or 512mb that are PC3200? If I'm wrong please tell me! Thank you very much! What whould you reccomend I get, with the information I have posted above?

Thanks.
=Snipe Out=

One quick question:
I can't find anything on a site that is selling a pair of 256mb PC3200 RAM sticks that is in my Price Range. I was thinking about buying just ONE stick of 256mb PC3200 RAM now, and buying another matching one later. What would happen if I put just ONE stick into my PC, without its matching pair? (Read previous posts to see what motherboard and RAM slots I have) Please reply quick!

=Snipe Out=

Back
Top Bottom