RAID x 2?

Kage

Golden Master
Hey, I could do with a bit of help with this question.

At the moment, I have 2 hard drives, in RAID 1 (mirroring), on SATA 1 and 2 channels.

Now, is it possible for me to by any chance have another RAID 1 with 2 more identical hard drives along with the one I have?

Or, without deleting anything, make it mirror using 3 or 4, while not having to wipe all my data off first?

Help will be appreciated :)

I don't know personally, but people have told me its possible. With what I'm understanding, that you want to do why not just run in RAID 10 so you have two drives striped then two mirroring

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I've seen people do Raid 0's and 1's on the same board at the same time, so I don't see why 2 RAID 1's wouldn't work.

Yeah, that'll work. Although like dra said, RAID0+1 or 1+0 seem like good options that I've always wanted to look into. Not sure if they work as well as they look on paper though.

Well, I want it so if a drive fails, they are still backed up still.

I want to store loads of synths on this new drive you see (each one can take up around 30gb) for my music, and so I do need a fast set of drives.
Now I understand RAID 1 is faster at reading (and it is), though slower at writing (which wouldn't really be a problem when reading WAVES to play in a sequencer.

So, should I just get a fast drive and forget about the backup's seeing as...

ah...never mind, I think I do still want a backup.

Back
Top Bottom