radeon 9600 series (128) WILL IT WORK ON ON MY PC?

Impulz

Solid State Member
Im still a bit of a newbie, and was after some help....

Im about to purchase a new machine soon from this old now PC, but am also keeping this computer as a second/experimental PC

A friend from work is selling his video card (ATI radeon 9600 series AGP(0x4150)
internal DAC (400mhz) 128 MB

I have Pentium 4 1.8 with 512 SDRAM
on an ASUS P4B-M motherboard.

I was just wondering if the video card my friend is selling will be compatible with my system or is it too old and will not be comaptible?

I currently have a Eagle GE-Force 2MX 400 64MB with TV out for the video card.

The main thing that concerns me is that the radeon which he is selling states AGP and ATI...could someone please explain me what those two terms exactly mean and wether my PC would have these?

(I have Everest and could look it up)

Much thnx

Pat

agp stands for advanced graphics port. your graphics card slots in it. it revolutionised computer graphics about a decade ago, giving dedicated graphics interface instead of using pci slots. your agp as tommy says is the brown one.

ati is a graphics chip producer. ati and nvidia are the two major graphics chip producers in the world.

jay8990 said:
agp stands for advanced graphics port. your graphics card slots in it. it revolutionised computer graphics about a decade ago, giving dedicated graphics interface instead of using pci slots. your agp as tommy says is the brown one.

ati is a graphics chip producer. ati and nvidia are the two major graphics chip producers in the world.

Ahh thats right, thnx for the help!

Looks like that card will work no probs!

You should see a big boost in gaming from that card from what you have aleady.

I used to have a Geforce 2 MX400 too, though went straight to the 9800 Pro.

Even though the 9600 is a slower card, you'll def see boosts so isn't bad at all.

How much is it being sold for though? That'll make a diff to see if its worth it or not

Kage said:
You should see a big boost in gaming from that card from what you have aleady.

I used to have a Geforce 2 MX400 too, though went straight to the 9800 Pro.

Even though the 9600 is a slower card, you'll def see boosts so isn't bad at all.

How much is it being sold for though? That'll make a diff to see if its worth it or not

Believe or not i actually dont have time for gaming due to my busy lifestyle at the moment:(, but im holding off for a while yet untill duel core hits than im going hardcore with a desktop, ive got my eyes on a socket LGA 775 and 2 SCSI drives RAID'ed together with PCI express so on so on but ill wait untill things cool down a bit i think. :rolleyes:

At the moment im using this PC as a play around and am in need of a decent laptop too which I was hoping i could get some advice on buidling( i want a 'desknote' is that what theyr called? (the fat, chuncky ones with full on PC parts in them) ive been saving for first and am low on cash:( but am willing to take out a loan, maybe ill need to start a new thread..

Answering your question thou...Im not sure how much he is selling his card for just yet, i think he quoted around 100 - 150 ($Australian Currency)

Ill get back on that one

Cheers

Pat

Yeah, if its too much it might be worth getting a better card than that, since you probably could with the amount hes asking for it. But we could asist more with that if that was the case. Don't know much about that currency though as i live in the UK... 150 i'd guess to be about £120? In which case you could get a better card.

Kewl, looks like you do want a good PC when you can :p Don't exactly know the type of laptop you mean, though sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom