Quick Ram Question.?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
What's better to have and why?

A 4GB 4 X 1G or a 4GB 2 X 2G ??? Basically ether a 2 sticks of ram 2G each = 4G total or a 4 sticks of ram 1G each?

Thanks

probably the 2X2GB cause from what i've been told, having 4 RAM modules puts a heavier strain on the memory controller.

Sorry to jump on your question but it is related. What is better, RAM with 4-4-4-15 timings or 5-5-5-12?

its ok, how do timings work anyways? i have no idea what the numbers mean...

me neither that why I want to know because I can get 2 sets of ram for same price. 1 with 4-4-4-15 and one with 5-5-5-12

lower timings usally means quicker ram

heres an articale that goes in deph
CAS (tCL) Timing: CAS stands for Column Address Strobe or Column Address Select. It controls the amount of time in cycles between sending a reading command and the time to act on it. From the beginning of the CAS to the end of the CAS is the latency. The lower the time of these in cycles, the higher the memory performance.

e.g.: 2.5-3-3-8 The bold “2.5” is the CAS timing.

tRCD Timing: RAS to CAS Delay (Row Address Strobe/Select to Column Address Strobe/Select). Is the amount of time in cycles for issuing an active command and the read/write commands.

e.g.: 2.5-3-3-8 The bold “3” is the tRCD timing.

tRP Timing: Row Precharge Time. This is the minimum time between active commands and the read/writes of the next bank on the memory module.

e.g.: 2.5-3-3-8 The bold “3” is the tRP timing.

tRAS Timing: Min RAS Active Time. The amount of time between a row being activated by precharge and deactivated. A row cannot be deactivated until tRAS has completed. The lower this is, the faster the performance, but if it is set too low, it can cause data corruption by deactivating the row too soon.

tRAS = tCL + tRCD + tRP (+/- 1) so that it gives everything enought time before closing the bank.

e.g.: 2.5-3-3-8 The bold “8” is the tRAS timing.

(The 2.5-3-3-8 figure is just an example for memory timings.)

These are the four timings that you would see when memory is being rated. It is in the order of CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS. The lower these timings, the higher the performance of the memory. Some motherboard manufactors (DFI for example) list the timings in their bios CAS-tRCD-tRAS-tRP.

Thanks man, that's clears that up a bit. Now back to the original question. :)

What's better to have and why?

A 4GB 4 X 1G or a 4GB 2 X 2G ??? Basically ether a 2 sticks of ram 2G each = 4G total or a 4 sticks of ram 1G each?

Thanks

Your best bet is to get 4X1gigs of ram. 2X2gig sticks are higher timing and not as good for overclocking. Currently if your a overclocker you want 1 gig sticks because they give you much more overclock headroom.

Thats why I went with 4X1gig's because I wanted to make sure they overclock to were I need them. I would of went 2X2 but didn't see anything that great yet.

You can see in my sig were i'm at with my ram. I havn't even mildly pushed them. I've just stopped until the heat drops a bit more. I'm just running a medium overclock till temps drop then i'm going to jack both the cpu and ram to the limit.

ok ic, but what about what D88 sad "4 RAM modules puts a heavier strain on the memory controller." How will that effect me?

And what di u mean "till temps drop" how will they drop on there own?

ok ic, but what about what D88 sad "4 RAM modules puts a heavier strain on the memory controller." How will that effect me?

And what di u mean "till temps drop" how will they drop on there own?

4 modules will put more stain on a memory controller than 2 obviously. How will it effect overall overclocking on mine I don't know cause i've never pushed this ram even mildly. Mines only 50Mhz overclocked but I expect I should be able to get at least 1000MHz out of it.

By temps drop I mean when the summer heat leaves. Its still like 85-90F and I've got no AC in my room so ambient temps are holding my overclocking back. When things cool back down i'll go higher.

Back
Top Bottom