Questions to sooth my soul....

cwharms

In Runtime
Ok, as usual, I have the upgrade bug. Thing is, I am on a budget that doesn't currently allow it.

My current system consists of: pentium D 805(mildly occd to 2.8), ECS MB, 2gb ddr2-533, 600w psu, AIW X800XL, and a samsung 400gb hdd, running XP pro.

I do light video/photo editing, run MS office '07 always, watch TV and surf the net.... no gaming at all.

I want to upgrade to Vista(yeah I know, but I need a change). My question is, since I am on a "no-spending" budget, would buying a good cpu cooler and oc'g to 3mhz be good enough for what I do?

Possibly getting me by another year when new stuff comes out and prices drop?

Thanks ~ Chris

Well, do you already have vista? If so, I guess that would be just fine. But if you have to buy vista I wouldn't even bother.

Blah, want something different. I can get Vista HP 32bit oem for $50 and install it on a fresh drive I have here.

My main question is would it be to my advantage to keep the 805 and oc more.

Well. That gives you 5.6 total GHz. Not sure if they add up like I'm doing. But here's what you gotta do. Compare price of a cooler to an upgrade on processor. Then decide what's best for you.

EDIT: Oh yes definitely. With an aftermarket cooler you can easily make 3.0

In my eyes a processor upgrade would consist of an entire overhaul, ie; cpu/mb/ram..... so $400ish.

Cooling would cost $50

Back
Top Bottom