Question on System.

ChampMark

Baseband Member
Okay, I just purchased a new motherboard for an older pc, the mother board was becoming unstable etc. Retention bracket busted, the board had been used pretty well.

I decided to go with a bargain bin Bio Star board, as the processor is a 1.7 gighz P4 478pin. So I just wanted the computer to be up and running.

Now, I got everything Hooked up. This is not the first time I've replaced parts on a pc.

Okay,
When I hit the power button everything turns on: PSU, Fans, HDD.

The Keyboard will flash really quick, and then the lights will turn off. I am not getting a monitor picture at all.

I've tried unplugging everything except for the core required hardware. Tried different monitors, so right now, it's either four things:

ME (hope not)
Motherboard (Can't complain it's biostar)
HDD (Was working on the previous motherboard)
CPU (Was working on the previous motherboard)

The motherboard is a Biostar p4m80-m4, and the only CPU it says it does not support is the Williamate CPU

The one I am using is the Malay 1.7gighz, I believe, I'd prefer not to remove the HeatSink for a 3rd time. Pain in the arse to remove the retention brackets.

Next the motherboard Supports 266/333/400 MHZ DDR Ram

The Ram I am using is 2100, 256 mb stick of ram. Most motherboards are backwards compatiable (most I should say). But the ram is 266 mhz, so it should not be the ram. If it is, and you think it might be, I have a couple 512 pc3200 sticks, so those operate at 400 mhz.

If nobody has any clue, I'll call Customer Support, but from the reviews I've read off of newegg, they said the Customer Support, isn't what it should be. That is why I posted here first.

I'm going to go back to sleep, work grave yard. But I'll check back.

Is that DDR2 ram? Well anyways.. Actually sounds like a flat spot on the hard drive.. because it wont load anything. Or its bad ram.. because its not loading anything.

I'll try a stick of pc3200 512. The bio's wont even show up etc.

I'll try it a little bit later.

Maybe you just got the mobo. Maybe their are no BIOS installed on it. Because if thats the case, nothing is going to work. Might wanna call the company.

I might have to, the bios should at least pop up, and I should get some beeping if there is something wrong with the setup.

But before I get head over hills, I'm going to throw the old board back in, the reason it was replaced was due to the rention bracket busted, and the USB's where shorting out.

But it still did function, so if the bios boot, then I know it's the new board, and if not, then I know I messed up somewhere.

Playing that new D&D game.

Back
Top Bottom