Question about SLI

terrelljames91

Baseband Member
so games coming out now are starting to put a little strain on the old system, right now i have a GTX460 768mb superclocked edition by MSI, im thinking about just going with another one insted of getting 2 whole new cards, my question, can i go with the 1 gig version and sli together? also does it matter if the cards are at different clock speeds? the one i have is OC from factory and i can not adjust it down, so if i grab another card at stock speeds will it work with the OC one?, i also have a q6600 installed OC'd to 3.0ghz, will this bottleneck? i was thinking about upgrading to a q9*** what ever it is, thanks

both cards will (when in SLI) only be able to take advantage of the among of memory from the lowest card.
in this case both cards will at maximum be using 768mb. same thing goes with GPU clock.
i'll advise you to overclock the other card to match your pre-overclocked card. (if the temps allows it)
your CPU will bottle neck. how much it will bottle neck depends on the game.
but you for sure still are gonna gain performance by going SLI.
be careful not to spend too much money on a q9*** whatever, because it is an outdated CPU.

well i have the Q6600 OC'd to 3.0 stable thinking of going 3.2-3.4 on liquid or buying i think was a Q9550, one that came stock at 3.0 and maybe oc that to 3.5-4.0Ghz i know its outdated, i just bought a new MB for myself with the LGA775 and i dont want to buy a whole new computer, i dont think it will bottleneck to much, im not to concerd about temps, the current card i have by MSI is a BEAST! i can get like a 60% increase over the stock version, im hoping to find an identical card somewhere cheap seeing as how there still almost $200 new

Ok, but just remember, if you do plan on sticking at this you will need to upgrade to a better GPU at some point

One single Card is alot better, Reasons;

Better Stability
Cooler
Lower Power Consumption
Newest Efficiently Technology's

Putting Your Money Towards One Card Is Alot Better.

Back
Top Bottom