Question About RAM

soursoup

Baseband Member
So, I have a question about RAM, does increasing RAM increase speed, and by how much and how it affects my other components in terms of potential power.
I'm also wondering if upgrading to 2 times the memory, to 16GB is going to make a much of a difference because all I do is open a lot of tab, a few background programs, and lots of excel, and i want to have quick RAR files and a quick startup. I also will use this computer in the future for 3d rendering and 3d modeling, which will be happening at the same time all these other programs are running.

My current specs are:
i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
ASUS p8z77-v Pro
Cooler Master hyper 212+*like everyone else ;]*
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1600
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Antec 300
EVGA GTX 670 2GB

Increasing RAM will increase your speed in some cases. For instance, it probably won't make any difference for you doing start up because there is enough RAM to handle all of windows + your background programs like an anti-virus. However It would make 3d rendering faster.

My understanding is RAR manipulation is more processor dependent than RAM so while I don't think adding more RAM will help you someone else can confirm that. Either way, Excel doesn't use all that much RAM even with multiple instances open and until you start 3d rendering 8GB should be fine.

If you want quicker start ups, disable services from starting with your computer that aren't needed right away (recommended) or upgrade to an SSD.

Hi..
Increase in the RAM enhance your PC's performance, but performance is not totally depend on the RAM. Increasing RAM will not make your games faster it only help in providing hassle free performance. It help your PC in performing smoothly in excessive slowdowns.

Back
Top Bottom