Question about old laptop and internet

darkserpant

In Runtime
I have a wireless modem and my wife has a newer laptop. My friend has an older laptop. It might be windows 2000 or xp I am not sure which windows. Anyway my question is if my buddy gives me this laptop can I just bring it in my house and receive the internet or do I need to download something to be able to get the internet. He used to just plug the phone jack into the back of the laptop to get the internet. He haid dsl. If you could help me out here I would appreciate it. Thanks

When you say "wireless modem" do you mean a router, or combo router/modem?
I assume you have broadband internet.

But anywho, ya, you should be able able to access the internet with it, might need a wirless card for the laptop although.

Can i buy a cheap one? Is there a difference in the cards. I see that they are around $50 is that good.I would like to go cheaper if I could.

Can you give us the laptop details, as they arent all the same, and it will help people work out what your options are

You can get a PCMCIA wireless adapter or a wireless USB adapter. They're both plug and play and easy to use. You'll get instant internet access once software is installed and you plug it into the laptop.

Thanks for all the input. I don't have any information on th laptop till tommorrow. But I don't think it has a wireless card in it. Could I use this instead of buying a card.http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910257 Or would I have to buy a card and then maybe this if my signal isn't strong enough. What I'm asking is can I get away with just buying a wi-fi adapter instead of a wireless card? Thank again guys

It would work, however, I would recommend the PCMCIA. But, the adapter will work. PCMCIA is more designed and is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom