Question about confusing Northbridge temp reading.

easilyi

Solid State Member
Hello!

I have a question about a strange temperature reading I am getting for my northbridge and I wonder if it is just a bad reading from these programs.

In both SpeedFan and HWMonitor I get a reading of 86 - 88 + for "System" or "SYSTIN". I assume these are talking about my northbridge. The rest of my temperatures are fine. CPU is high 30 to low 40. GPU is high 40 to low 50.

The strange thing is that my northbridge is not even hot to the touch. I can hold my finger on it and it is just warm.

I cannot get that System temp to drop no matter what I do. I opened the case, put huge fans directly on my northbridge and nothing changed. I even removed my northbridge, cleaned the factory compound off and applied Arctic Silver and nothing changed still. Not even one degree drop with anything I try.

Also, in my BIOS it says CPU is 44 and Board is 34 on average. I have gotten to the point where I assume it is just a bad reading that I should ignore but thought I would give one more try at getting opinions.

I have the nVidia nForce 750i SLI FTW mainboard and nVidia GeForce GTX 280 video card.

Thanks for any thoughts!

It sounds like it's just a false reading. If the real temp was 86, the computer would most likely either be unstable or shut down, as well as the north bridge be very hot to the touch.

Yeah thanks jervin32189, after all my work on it I figured it was just a bad reading but wanted to see if maybe I just had not thought of something.

:)

SYSTEM temp is usually a sensor located somewhere on the PCB, since the temp is so high, it's most likely located somewhere around the PWM area, which is perfectly normal.

Thanks worshipme.

So then you agree that I should probably just not worry about that temp reading?

I just did not know that anything in there was OK to get that hot except maybe the video card if it was really over worked. And even that would not be good but maybe at least a possibility.

But like I said all my other temps seem happy. My video card just reaches 60 after playing moderate games for a while and my CPU reaches maybe 54.

I am actually ordering a new fan/heatsink for my CPU to get those temps down a bit more. I figured it would be more comfortable if I could keep it below 50.

Thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom