Question about CMOS / BIOS

Max25591

Baseband Member
I managed to kill a DS4 mobo the other day... and so i just want to check somehting...

Is it prudent to update both the main, and the backup Bios to F6. Or should i leave the backup as F2 and have only the main as F6?

I only ask as i wandered if one did have both as F6 and then reset CMOS... would there be no Bios left on the board?... as it tries to find factory default F2... and cannot... leaving you with a dead mobo.

Not sure if this is the case... could someone enlighten me before i start overclocking this one!

Cheers,

Max

I've never heard of BIOS info getting wiped out before. Worse case scenario, BIOS update doesn't work and system won't boot. You just reset CMOS with jumpers or if you can access BIOS, restore defaults.

Resetting the cmos won't wipe out all the bios info. However, if the bios update fails, say hello to a brand new paperweight.

I heard about that too. If somehow during the flash process, it gets interrupted--you're screwed and need to get an entire new motherboard.

Best way to do ya BIOS in my opinion, is to have a UPS connected, then if ya have power failure ya know its gonna be ok, coz the battery takes over.

yeah cos if ya have a powercut to the mobo your gonna be saying bye bye to some more money

My MSI board has flash recovery built in. When you start the flash process it copies itself off to a protected memory area in the bios. If it screws up during the flash process you just reboot and the recovery program kicks in.
Check you bios for this feature.

setishock said:
My MSI board has flash recovery built in. When you start the flash process it copies itself off to a protected memory area in the bios. If it screws up during the flash process you just reboot and the recovery program kicks in.
Check you bios for this feature.

All boards should have this. I think some manufacturers deliberately dont do this so we have to pay up for new boards when the flash goes wrong.

Raffaz said:
All boards should have this. I think some manufacturers deliberately dont do this so we have to pay up for new boards when the flash goes wrong.
i think my dell board has this but the one does but the one in my notebook(compaq) does not but then it is about 4 years old

Good news is Gigabyte have agreed to RMA the board.

They stipulate that as long as there is no burns, oxidation and or any 3rd party work to the board then they will RMA it. (Updating bios does not count as 3rd party work (i checked).

There is a 10GBP fee for testing and repair / delivery... but its good news really.

Perhaps i should save the celebrations till after i get the new board from them though! Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom