Question!

Ð88

Fully Optimized
So here's the deal. I am replacing my existing motherboard/CPU/memory and possibly GPU with a whole new setup of the same hardware. I am, however, using the same harddrive with the new setup. What do I have to do to make the changeover? I understand I would have to uninstall all the existing drivers for the old hardware right? Is that it? Help me out, please guys.

I believe that you want to uninstall the IDE drives, and the chipset drivers. Lhuser had a guide on it, but I can't find it.

hey wait a tec, it says somewhere that using a SATA harddrive is unsupported by those instructions and that's exactly what I use. Is there anything else I have to do to switch across?

oh and another thing. Will this affect my linux installation? I have a dual boot setup on the disk.

It works fine with SATA drives. There's an extra step required with Intel chipsets when using a SATA drive.

I'm not sure how it would work with Linux. You should look through that thread to see if anybody tried it with Linux.

Ya its pretty much as simple as uninstalling the chipset/motherboard drivers and gpu drivers and installing the new ones. Thats all I did when I switched from my Asus P5n32SLI Premium to the Evga 680i and i've never had a bsod. Some say you must reinstall the os but give it a go and if its not bsod then why do it? I figured i'd try mine and if I got bsod's i'd do a reformat and use the new drivers but it never did so I never reformatted.

Back
Top Bottom