Q6600 Temps

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok new build done up and running.

firstly id like to say the quad core is on a whole new level of speed :)

secondly my temps are running about 36-38 in bios which i thought was ok, then i boot into windows and download second life and start some windows updates and it goes all the way upto 49 :O

so then i start thinking that seems a lil high.

so i turn it off reseat the heatsinkand fan and load up IE to post this are sitting at around 41 now.

im just wondering i think 41 is ok but 49 is too high isnt it ?

standard clock measure speeds on everest ultimate and asus PC PROBE roughly the same

im using standard heatsink and fan.

lookslike those damn intel push pins almost had 1 over on me,

Edit, jus by opening up a few more IE windows were upto 46 ??

Edit. ok think its time for me to have another reseat of the heatsink and fan.

ran like 20 seconds of prime 95 on all 4 crores and i went upto 57'C :O

Congrats on the PC!

1st You will not get low temps with a stock cooler.

2nd Assuming you used a good quality thermal paste, it will take a few days for the paste to fully kick in. What I mean is if u you just finished ur setup today, give it 2 more days and u will see about 5c drop.

3rd You can always try and Lap the HS, might give you about 5c drop as well.

ok i know you wont get low temps with stock heat sink i but 59'C is stupid.

2nd didnt know that i will recheck in a few days.

3rd. dont think ill be trying that too much effort lol.

and fourth i have played about again with ther heat sink loaded it up ran prime 95 on all 4 cores and after 10 mins it was going between 52 and 51 so with some wear in of the thermal paste it should be ok.

ok i know you wont get low temps with stock heat sink i but 59'C is stupid.
59c is not stupid at all, it's perfectly safe. 59c is pretty low for me :p

Intel stock coolers use Shin Etsu paste which is silver based and will take a few thermal cycles to cure. The gain will be usually no more than around 2c-3c.

Overall, your temps are perfectly normal.

59c is actually high imo, because its 10 away from max

second, stock cooling is rubbish so thats why your seeing them temps.

about the thermal paste, i never heard that you have to wait a few days, I'd expect it to be cool straight away

Firstly, what are you reading the temps with?

I have found that a TjMax of 100°C is the most accurate for my Q6600 (using Real Temp idle calibration method) though Real Temp (iirc, been a while since I looked) and Core Temp both use 105°C Tjmax, which can be altered btw.

If your temp readings are from Asus PC probe then they will be reading on the high side as it reads from the board sensor not the core like RT & CT.

One would assume you have a SLACR (G0) chip as opposed to a SL9UM (B3) but could you confirm this as they have different attributes.

What vcore are you feeding it? This will have a major impact on temps.

Why is it, that when I think I have replied with a decent answer, you have to come and ask questions that I realise I should have asked? :D

lol, I don't do it deliberately, honest.

:D

I've learnt over the years to think all around the outsides of an issue to cover as many variables as possible, comes from live one-on-one moderating in an MSN PC help chat room for six years I suppose, the morons we used to get in there sometimes, sheeeesh, it was like pulling teeth trying to diagnose errors.

Oh yeah, just like you didn't deliberately boast about how many times you've successfully flashed your BIOS with ASUSupdate :p

I'll learn.

The AsusUpdate post was just a "poke in the eye with a blunt stick", and further confirmation that the errors with using it are confined to 64bit OS

"all in the best possible taste of course" aka Kenny Everett sketch

Back
Top Bottom